A+++ Dive Shop in St. Maarten

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so impressed with Ocean Explorers efforts on the reefs in St. Maarten, I felt like I had to let other people know what I had seen. I’ve only been diving with 6 or 7 different dive outfits (only have around 40 dives, so I’m on expert;)), but this was the first outfit that actually seemed to work towards progressing the reefs. On the first dive, I watched Jeff pull out a small pouch with hose clamps and a screw driver as he dropped to the sand to grab a large sea whip that was lying on its side in the sand. He found a small extruding piece of rock structure and would attach the whip (fan, ribbon gorg, pen, etc.), giving it a chance to survive. I was thoroughly impressed. It seems like everyone should be doing this, but this was the first time a saw a huge concerted effort by the dive shop to help the reefs out as much as possible. I tried to do my share of reattaching what I could find, too. It just felt right. The reefs in St. Maarten were some of the nicest I’ve seen. They were densely packed with thousands of sea whips, gorgs, fans, etc. with incredible rock structures. I was blown away by the rock structures (see this thread for some pics-70ish underwater shots of varying quality;)). Jeff said it really makes him feel good to see his efforts paying off on return visits to recent attachments. I help lift a huge piece of elkhorn (A. palmata) out of a sandy pit and back onto a ledge to wedge it in (had to inflate to get enough force to lift it up-huge piece). There were several pieces in the sand there that got moved nearer the mother colony from the sand bed. He’s pulled pieces before with intentions of coming back to better attach, only to find then well encrusted in two or three days. It’s like keeping frags out of the sand bed. I felt good to be able to help out. The whips and gorgs, et/c were easy to find holes in which they would fit without being pulled out with the currents. I just wanted to let everyone know what I felt was a great ‘above and beyond’ from all other shops I’ve known (not to point a finger of negativity at any of those shops). These guys are doing great work down there and I applaud there efforts. The reefs are the densest I’ve seen with some of the most incredible rock formations and reef layouts (my dive experience is limited to the Caribbean).

Here are some shots of Jeff’s handy work. In addition to saving corals that would not make it long without the correct movement, he takes the time to repair the moorings and buoys when they need it. I hear the other dive shops around the area help stock him with rope, etc., so his work is being noticed locally, too.

Here are some shots of Jeff at work.
This fan was laying in the sand.
HensnChicks-rep-gorg04copy.jpg

Screwing it down.
HensnChicks-rep-gorg03copy.jpg

HensnChicks-rep-gorg02copy.jpg

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few others.
HensnChicks-rep-gorg01copy.jpg

OETeigland-rep-gorg03copy-1.jpg

OETeigland-rep-gorg02copy-1.jpg

OETeigland-rep-gorg01copy-1.jpg

Here are some shots he took on the dives we were on. If anyone would like to use any of his pictures, I’d ask that you contact them via email to ask permission.

OEMoonscape-ray01copy-1.jpg

OEBridge-ray01copy.jpg

OEMoonscape-ray02copy.jpg

OEMoonscape-ylwtail01copy-1.jpg

OEBridge-soldier-school02copy-1.jpg

OEBridge-soldier-school04copy-1.jpg

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a highlight for me. These were taken before I got there, but the octopus was more interested in the conch than he was worried about me, so I still got to watch him having lunch for at least five minutes or so. A damsel came over and nipped him, so I got to watch his eye flash a few different colors. This was my first octopus. I thought it was awesome. The stare of something that plotted my demise the moment it spotted me and has the intellectual capability to carry its plan out was a pretty neat feeling;).
OEMoonscape-Octopus03copy-1.jpg

OEMoonscape-Octopus02copy.jpg

OEMoonscape-Octopus01copy-1.jpg

Thanks to all you guys and gals are doing out at Ocean Explorers at Simpson Bay, St. Maarten. I’d recommend them to anyone if you are headed that way. They were a great bunch of people. Luciana took care of everything for us, and made us feel like royalty.

Back