Best places to go scuba diving!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In addition to loving saltwater fish tanks…I know many of you are dive certified or have gone snorkeling in tropical places. My Mom and I are planning a dive a trip and this will be the first time diving in the ocean. We are looking for a place that is either in the U.S. or on this side of the world. So that rules out Australia, Indonesia, Hawaii, etc. What are your favorite places to dive and what you have found to be the best for beginners and safest for tourists. Please tell me where you went/the resort and why you liked it?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a few good dive locations down around Key Largo. From what I’ve heard, the best diving in the Keys is in Key Largo. I’ve been diving there, specifically in Isla Morada a couple of times.
I’ve been there once years ago a a young kid snorkeling. Does anyone know what it looks like now or if the heat wave affected the reefs in the Keys significantly?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My most recent swim (just goggles, no snorkel) was in Grand Cayman island. Smith's brocadere was my favorite "walk off sand and swim with fish/coral" spot. Loved swimming at the barrier reef to the north. I understand there's great diving in the other islands.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my thread on GC islands

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cancun is/was supposed to be good. Turks and Caicos is great because you can fly in. Also if you do Club Med it is all inclusive so free equipment and dives, food and lodging. Tortola has some good diving and also a "Dive Trail" in a lagoon that has a path with plaques that describe what you are looking at. Kinda like a arboretum but underwater. Plus you can go to "Bumba's Surf Shack"

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+1 go Grand Cayman! Especially the eastern side of the island. Those were my very first dives!

As for the keys, they’re not what they were 10+ years ago, but it’s still some of the best reef diving you’ll get on the continental US. Still very much worth visiting.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its unfortunate you can't make it here to my side of the world...the diving is incredible! I actually have a Dive Photography Certification so if you'd like to see pics, just let me know!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Its unfortunate you can't make it here to my side of the world...the diving is incredible! I actually have a Dive Photography Certification so if you'd like to see pics, just let me know!

I did my check off dives off the southern coast of Thailand. I couldn’t enjoy it nearly as much as it deserved, because I ruptured both my eardrums! :loudly-crying-face:

I’ve been dying to go back ever since then (I did eventually sort out my ear equalization issues!)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my check off dives off the southern coast of Thailand. I couldn’t enjoy it nearly as much as it deserved, because I ruptured both my eardrums! :loudly-crying-face:

I’ve been dying to go back ever since then (I did eventually sort out my ear equalization issues!)
You mentioned that in my thread I posted a few snorkeling pics in...now I have literally 10x more and instead of snorkeling pics, they were taken diving so I got pics of so many more amazing fish and invertebrates... Ostracion meleagris Boxfish (the blue and yellow males), crinoids, a ton of different corals, 3 species of Linckia starfish, and so many more pictures of truly amazing creatures!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what it looks like now or if the heat wave affected the reefs in the Keys significantly?
Yes, my closest friend lives in Key Largo and lives next to me in the winter. Like me, he is a diver with his own boat and he told me yesterday the reefs are all but dead there due to the heat. :confused-face:

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ABCs are probably the best diving on this side of the world, IMO. However, the Turks and Bahamas have insane reefs and wall dives also and may be more doable for some.

Staying in the states West Palm has some really nice reefs. Keys have been dead for a long time around the popular reefs, but if you go 40ft+ there’s still some really cool spots with plenty of life, both coral and fish.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was at Looe Key in Feb...nicest place i've ever snorkeled that you can drive to...idk what the hi temps may have done to it but its about 12 miles out into the atlantic side off marathon so maybe it hasnt been affected as badly...there's a boat from bahia honda state park to take you there (which broke down and cancelled our trip)...as a result we booked with Captain Hook at Big Pine Key...which is a legit dive shop, we had beginner scuba divers along on our trip and the instructors were good...if i were going to try diving for the first time i'd recomend trying to get some lessons locally ahead of time or check with Hook to see how long it would take to do whatever course they have and if that would fit into your vacation schedule...i've been on the other side of that process where you get a "resort course" in a pool in another country by someone you cant understand and 20 minutes later you're diving...plenty of people do it that way but in retrospect its probably not the brightest thing you can do...also knowing your health insurance is valid is comforting..if you are just snorkeling buy a "dry" snorkel (has a check valve in the top so you dont swallow half the ocean) cause rental ones are generally the cheap version...and avoid windy days , less waves and current to fight and better water clarity...i went to the Bahamas for years (Rose Island my favorite snorkel off the beach spot) and out of a whole week you'd be lucky if you got 1 or 2 days with good conditions

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wherever you do end up call ahead of time and see how they are with new divers. Especially oceanic first dives. Buoyancy, decent, and safety stops may, or will be, different than what you got certified with. Not to mention air management.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back