Best places to go scuba diving!

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The ABCs are probably the best diving on this side of the world, IMO. However, the Turks and Bahamas have insane reefs and wall dives also and may be more doable for some.

Staying in the states West Palm has some really nice reefs. Keys have been dead for a long time around the popular reefs, but if you go 40ft+ there’s still some really cool spots with plenty of life, both coral and fish.

West Palm huh? I had no idea that was an option! How does it compare to Key Largo area?

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dived in Key Largo a bunch, and they had some amazing coral, especially due to the restoration efforts. You could really see colonies of elkhorn and staghorn coming back on healthy reefs, and there was amazing fish as well. Unfortunately, with the recent heat wave, there is a bunch of bleaching and mortalities happening on almost all the reefs. My friend, who is a scientific diver down there, sent me photos and even the gorgonians and zoanthids are bleaching in some cases. The hard coral is taking a heavy hit, and the progress that restoration made has definitely been set back. Hopefully the reefs can recover with the help of more restoration efforts, but right now it's certainly a scene to behold. I would still dive there today, because the reefs are still beautiful even with the horrible scene of bleaching coral in the background. We can't really expect our reefs to look pristine these days with the way that we abuse our oceans and the planet...

386reeftrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
West Palm huh? I had no idea that was an option! How does it compare to Key Largo area?
It’s a different type of dive, depending where you dive in Key Largo. West Palm is deeper (40-80ft) drift dives for the most part. The reef itself is more ledges/reef slope but amazing fish life, really healthy reef and being the point at which the Gulf Stream comes closest to the FL coast the viz is usually superb.

strulock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Belize is really handy to North America. If you're willing to go a lot farther - the Maldives in the Indian Ocean has been my favorite so far. Amazing!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really spoiled by the South Pacific and won't even dive in the Caribbean after I dove there but St Lucia has some decent wall dives off a place called the Pitons.

Pitons-Mountains-Saint-Lucia.jpg

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you’re into cold water diving but there’s always the California coast. I did a lot of my certification dives in Monterey and Carmel area. I’ve also done the Channel Islands in Southern California. The kelp forests are very unique.

Tangs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on Roatan, Honduras Bay Island. Snorkeling there was great.
Cancun diving was good, however it was my first & only ever time scuba diving, so I was having issued with my ears and only spent about 33 minutes down. So, basically I don’t have much experience to tell you regarding comparing locales. However, I probably won’t be going back to Mexico, due to the violence.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, I'm from Louisiana and just happen to be in Belize at Ramons village on a diving vacation. Been amazing and the resort is a 5 star padi. The dive masters are great, tons a amazing spots just minutes from the resort and the have nice gear and boats. Highly recommend place.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you’re into cold water diving but there’s always the California coast. I did a lot of my certification dives in Monterey and Carmel area. I’ve also done the Channel Islands in Southern California. The kelp forests are very unique.

Some of the best diving in the world. Point Lobos and Monastery Beach (aptly named) being in the top 10 best but of course I'm biased. However that being said she mentioned that it is her first open water oceanic dive. Outside a few beach dives like Lovers Point not sure I'd recommend Monterey for first timers unless that was also your certification water.

Boat charter with dive master or club maybe. But cold water as you know is another story and different scenery.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cozumel - super convenient, great drift diving, nice resorts. Spend a day driving around the Island and bar hopping.

Caymans - a bit more upscale options, good diving, shopping etc... Stingray Ally is a great place to spend a day

Bonaire - the shore diving is fantastic, just so fun to go out on your own with your own group and explore the sites on your own time

Roatan - lots more life on the reefs, the architecture of the ancient live rock is really magnificent. Lots of growing coral (but not quite like the mid 80s), Accommodations are a little rough if you are looking for luxury and being pampered. Going out at night probably not a good idea. Dive resorts are a great value.

Wreck Diving in the Keys - the Duane and Spiegel among others. Hard news about the recent bleaching there. Key west the Vandenberg is truly spectacular.

USVI - convenient, shallow, easy for novice divers. The Ritz is really nice. Money goes fast though!

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went on a cruise and dived in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman. This was back in December 2022 and it was gorgeous. I don’t know how it looks now with all of the supposed bleaching that is happening (I don’t know if this is just local to Florida or all over) but I would highly recommend either. Best of luck where ever you decide to go.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky enough to dive all over the world (Australia, Hawaii, French Polynesia, Fiji, the Caribbean, etc). Can't beat Fiji for soft corals and French Polynesia for Lemon sharks.

If it has to be US only, and you don't mind cold water, the dives off of Catalina Island in SoCal are great. Lots of marine life, very cool giant kelp forests, and freshly caught spiny lobster snacks on the boat ride back. Just bring your 7 mm wetsuit and booties!

If it's the Caribbean, Grand Cayman and Roatan are my fav spots.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back