Best place to stay in Bali, Indonesia

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Bali locals and anyone who has been to Bali, What would be a good place to stay in Bali for scuba diving to check corals as well as check out wholesale facilities.

Surprisingly, not a single thread on this :). I am super looking forward to my trip to Bali, Indonesia in Dec.

Sam

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The two questions might require 2 answers. Ubud villa and there are a great number of airbnb's as well - it depends how much you want to spend, etc etc

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bali is relatively small although the traffic can be insane. You’ve got plenty of accommodation options on east coast and west coast of the Bukit so budget is really the decider.

Although there is some good diving around Bali the real action is elsewhere in the archipelago. If you’re travelling all the way from the states you really should consider looking at some further afield options like Komodo, Suluweisi, Maluku etc, even RA if you’ve got the time and budget. I generally use Bali as a stopover.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be wrong but I doubt many wholesale facilities or any businesses are going to allow you to just check everything out due to curiosity. Not that they have anything to hide necessarily, but j don't think many businesses prefer for people to see the inner workings of their facilities regardless of what they do.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I might be wrong but I doubt many wholesale facilities or any businesses are going to allow you to just check everything out due to curiosity. Not that they have anything to hide necessarily, but j don't think many businesses prefer for people to see the inner workings of their facilities regardless of what they do.
The two questions might require 2 answers. Ubud villa and there are a great number of airbnb's as well - it depends how much you want to spend, etc etc
Thank you for your response. budget is flexible but would like to spend time scuba diving rather than on the roads.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your response. budget is flexible but would like to spend time scuba diving rather than on the roads.
If you have the money Ritz Carlton

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you try to locate a local private guide to take you diving? It's Indonesia so if they have a boat and you can get equipment I'd expect you'd see far more at sites locals are aware of than the ones the dive companies would take you to.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why don't you try to locate a local private guide to take you diving? It's Indonesia so if they have a boat and you can get equipment I'd expect you'd see far more at sites locals are aware of than the ones the dive companies would take you to.
All great suggestions(thank you). Right now, my priority is to book a hotel closer to best coral reefs that Bali has to offer. Which part do Bali should I shoot for. South most (where ritz), north, east, west….

Thank you. Hopefully this will help anyone else traveling to Bali in the future

Sam

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great suggestions(thank you). Right now, my priority is to book a hotel closer to best coral reefs that Bali has to offer. Which part do Bali should I shoot for. South most (where ritz), north, east, west….

Thank you. Hopefully this will help anyone else traveling to Bali in the future

Sam
Well, I actually do have a friend who's a native Indonesian and has lived in Bali his entire life. I can ask him if needed. He actually works for a coral export company and is a collector so he'd likely have an idea. I'm surprised they don't have all that information either online or in a Lonely Planet travel guide since it's so popular.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the better diving spots in Bali are on the NE coast so if you want to be close to that you’ll be outside the main hub of hotels and resorts.

Have to say though, they are average at best compared to other islands accessible by just a short island hop flight from Bali. These are dedicated diving destinations right up there with the best in the world. So unless you’re anchored to Bali for family or other reasons, do yourself a favour and check them out.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I actually do have a friend who's a native Indonesian and has lived in Bali his entire life. I can ask him if needed. He actually works for a coral export company and is a collector so he'd likely have an idea. I'm surprised they don't have all that information either online or in a Lonely Planet travel guide since it's so popular.
Thank you. Will PM separately for information.

Sam

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of the better diving spots in Bali are on the NE coast so if you want to be close to that you’ll be outside the main hub of hotels and resorts.

Have to say though, they are average at best compared to other islands accessible by just a short island hop flight from Bali. These are dedicated diving destinations right up there with the best in the world. So unless you’re anchored to Bali for family or other reasons, do yourself a favour and check them out.
If you had to pick 1 or 2 islands close by to Bali. What would you recommend.

Sam

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest would be Nusa Lembongan. Its definitely a step up from most Bali dive sites. Plenty of fast boats go over the straight from Bali and there’s some decent accommodation options.

If you really want to level up in quality have a look at Nth Sulawesi. Several operators servicing this area, it’s highly regarded and a quick flight from Denpasar.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The closest would be Nusa Lembongan. Its definitely a step up from most Bali dive sites. Plenty of fast boats go over the straight from Bali and there’s some decent accommodation options.

If you really want to level up in quality have a look at Nth Sulawesi. Several operators servicing this area, it’s highly regarded and a quick flight from Denpasar.
Thank you. Will check out Nusa Lembongan. North Sulawesi will be in bucket list…(well next time).

Thank you all. I have enough to plan the 5 day trip.

Sam

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hey, I'll read your DM when I have time for that...I just thought sinCe you're having trouble I'd turn to books for guidance maybe some of these books would help? You can probably read them for free online...thats what I do when I'm unsure of information regarding travel. Screenshot_2023-11-27-10-08-20-101_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg Screenshot_2023-11-27-10-08-15-957_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh hey, I'll read your DM when I have time for that...I just thought sinCe you're having trouble I'd turn to books for guidance maybe some of these books would help? You can probably read them for free online...thats what I do when I'm unsure of information regarding travel. Screenshot_2023-11-27-10-08-20-101_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg Screenshot_2023-11-27-10-08-15-957_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

You are a better planner than I am. I would like to say I will read them all but I would be lying :).

As I said here and in the DMs, I am all set. Appreciate everyone’s responses.

Sam

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back