Best places to go scuba diving!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want an AMAZING time look into staying at Clark's Caye in Guanaja. It's off Honduas ans the diving was amazing but the resort was top notch as well. Would go back tomorrow if I could.
Yes, that's off of Roatan.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the ocean some where. I have tried the bath but found it restrictive and not much to see.

But serious I've dived in the Caribbean and Phuket. Only intro dives.
They say Vanuatu is great, Fiji, Ningaloo reef and obviously the GBR
I’ve tried this too at least when I was a little kid lol! I would pretend to snorkel in the bath tub and the pool is a little less restrictive but still very bland haha!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear this since I’m going diving there soon!!!
The Pitons offers a wall dive where the bottom drops down way to far but the wall has a lot of life which most of the Caribbean is now unfortunately lacking and I dove most of the Islands.

The Caymans are also decent.

sjfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
St. John in the USVI. You can walk off the beach and in some areas and snorkel in 5’ of water that looks like you are on the discovery channel. Most unbelievable thing I have seen in the Caribbean. I live in south Florida and can tell you the reefs are really bad here anymore. At least the reefs in less than 50’ of water. Most are dead like others have said

sjfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
St. John in the USVI. You can walk off the beach and in some areas and snorkel in 5’ of water that looks like you are on the discovery channel. Most unbelievable thing I have seen in the Caribbean. I live in south Florida and can tell you the reefs are really bad here anymore. At least the reefs in less than 50’ of water. Most are dead like others have said

reveriesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to loving saltwater fish tanks…I know many of you are dive certified or have gone snorkeling in tropical places. My Mom and I are planning a dive a trip and this will be the first time diving in the ocean. We are looking for a place that is either in the U.S. or on this side of the world. So that rules out Australia, Indonesia, Hawaii, etc. What are your favorite places to dive and what you have found to be the best for beginners and safest for tourists. Please tell me where you went/the resort and why you liked it?
I’ve been an avid diver and underwater photographer my entire life, it is my absolute passion, and have been diving all over the world - Fiji, Tahiti, Australia, Bora Bora, Sea of Cortez, Grand Cayman (many times), Little Cayman, St.Lucia (many times), Key West, Great Exuma, Roatan, Belize, Nassau, Jamaica, Playa del Carmen, Xtapa, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, Peter Island, Curaçao, Turks & Caicos, Antigua, & Bonaire (probably 25 trips - we go several times a year). Im sure I’ve missed a few on the list but I recount this only to give credibility to my next statement.

As far as this side of the world and Caribbean diving I say, in no uncertain terms, that Bonaire is absolutely the spot to go if you want the most expansive, breathtaking diving in the region. It has been a marine park for many decades and is listed as the number one shore diving in the world. There are yellow rocks all around the coast indicating marked dive sites that you literally walk right into from the shore. The diving is so spectacular here and easy to get to that we go several times a year no matter where else in the world we travel. It’s an absolute must for anyone who loves diving.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonaire is my favorite dive destination. No schedule , no boats, everything on your own time. Also donkeys everywhere!

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from Roatan, been diving there and Belize for the past 10 years. Both have suffered first from stony coral tissue disease and now extraordinary bleaching from the summer heat. There species of coral that completely died off due to SCTD such as brain coral, pillar coral, and other very colorful LPS. Now even the hardiest corals such as cabbage are completely bleached white. I imagine given the length of time they have been bleached that the mortality will be 80% or better. It’s really upsetting. I probably won’t dive in the Caribbean again, and have been doing so as a certified diver since 1988. A simple google search will tell you all you need to know about the destruction.

IMG_0197.png GPTempDownload.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back