Best places to go scuba diving!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went on a cruise and dived in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman. This was back in December 2022 and it was gorgeous. I don’t know how it looks now with all of the supposed bleaching that is happening (I don’t know if this is just local to Florida or all over) but I would highly recommend either. Best of luck where ever you decide to go.

Cozumel is great diving. Very healthy reefs these days as they rotate dive areas to let them recover. Can't speak for Florida. Cozumel though - drift diving. If you have good buoyancy and can manage your safety stop without a line it is great stuff.

Just be careful around the reef walls and drop offs. Currents can be strong and if not careful get swept out to see. This past January a diver was lost while I was there. Different boat charter but it sort of put a damper on the rest of the week.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cozumel. Cheap, easy to get to, and an all around beautiful island.
i've snorkeled Kaneohe Bay Hawaii, the Bahamas (New Providence, Paradise Island, Rose Island , Exuma with several locations at each island), Florida (Pennekamp,Key West, Looe Key) and Cozumel...and can say without a doubt that Cozumel was the absolute worst with the least amount of fish and actual reef....just a couple artificial structures...the walk from the bus to the ferry was fun as we were told to stay in line, dont make eye contact with anyone and dont wander over to any of the stores or stands...once on the ferry and on Cozumel itself we were told it was safe...i guess the patrolling Jeeps with the 50 cal machine guns mounted in the back were the reason...this was at least 7 yrs ago...maybe if it had been whale shark season when we were there and we did one of those trips i'd have a better opinion but for normal snorkeling it was a bust

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After a recent vacation, Hawaii is phenominal. We were at Kealakekua bay and holy cow- the sealife and coral. Key west was also good.
Ive seen some awesome reefs also in Jamaica and Cozumel. We were just on a cruise to end vacation and Nassau Bahamas looks very promising especially by Paradise island. We saw some of the fish and lobsters being caught and what a sight !!!

reefer415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to loving saltwater fish tanks…I know many of you are dive certified or have gone snorkeling in tropical places. My Mom and I are planning a dive a trip and this will be the first time diving in the ocean. We are looking for a place that is either in the U.S. or on this side of the world. So that rules out Australia, Indonesia, Hawaii, etc. What are your favorite places to dive and what you have found to be the best for beginners and safest for tourists. Please tell me where you went/the resort and why you liked it?
The best reefs (mostly softies) I have seen in this hemisphere are in Bonaire. There are about 100 easy dive sites. Just rent a truck and a guide and stay at an AirBnB.

Grand Cayman is a close second. The East side of the island is great but not as accessible. The west side has amazing diving right from shore.

Belize is incredible and the reefs are mostly in great shape. I like the Grand Caribe outside of town on Ambergris Caye. Renting a Catamaran is pricy but the best way to see the islands vs. a liveaboard if you want to do more than just dive.

Roatan is also amazing but not as safe as the above.

Cozumel used to be a favorite but the last time I was there was after a couple of hurricanes hit the island directly and the reefs were in pretty bad shape. Also Mexico isn't as safe as Bonaire/Grand Cayman/Belize.

There are other great islands as well. If you find the right rock anywhere in the Caribbean your dive will be worth it!

La Paz and Loreto Mx are great from the West Coast. Coral not as abundant but the amount of fish at each site is incredible.

And if you're willing to get a little cold, diving the Channel Islands (by boat out of Ventura or Santa Barbara) or Monterey have a lot to offer. Catalina island isn't quite as cold in the summer and they have a marine park you can dive from shore.

Happy diving!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cozumel, Roatan and Curacao are some of our favorite places. Cozumel is drift dives for the most part but there are dive operations that cater to all experience levels. We actually went to Coz for our first trip after OW certification. Roatan's reefs were healthy when we were there last September. Enjoyed the two trips we made there last year. Little Cayman used to be one of the best but they have coral necrosis disease that's been an issue in the Caribbean lately. Curacao was very good but a bit further away. Tournoffe in Belize is also very good.

Wamland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Cayman and Curacao are great. I enjoy Curacao more. No jellyfish or seaweed in the water. Direct flights from jfk. And the coral and fish are incredible.
GPTempDownload.jpeg
GPTempDownload.jpeg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard great things about this!:)
If you want an AMAZING time look into staying at Clark's Caye in Guanaja. It's off Honduas ans the diving was amazing but the resort was top notch as well. Would go back tomorrow if I could.

shookONES

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i've snorkeled Kaneohe Bay Hawaii, the Bahamas (New Providence, Paradise Island, Rose Island , Exuma with several locations at each island), Florida (Pennekamp,Key West, Looe Key) and Cozumel...and can say without a doubt that Cozumel was the absolute worst with the least amount of fish and actual reef....just a couple artificial structures...the walk from the bus to the ferry was fun as we were told to stay in line, dont make eye contact with anyone and dont wander over to any of the stores or stands...once on the ferry and on Cozumel itself we were told it was safe...i guess the patrolling Jeeps with the 50 cal machine guns mounted in the back were the reason...this was at least 7 yrs ago...maybe if it had been whale shark season when we were there and we did one of those trips i'd have a better opinion but for normal snorkeling it was a bust

Sounds…interesting? I was last in Cozumel Spring 2021 and it was incredible. I stayed at Iberostar and did all my dives with Dressel Divers, which operate off the hotel’s dock. The reefs were fantastic and teeming with life. I’d go back in a heartbeat.

For the record, we’re talking scuba, not snorkeling.

mikem.dvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is good diving in the gulf of Mexico. The flower gardens has a little of everything. 100 miles off shore. Usually hit a few oil rigs on the way back.
Cozumel, bonaire have great diving.
I lived in St. Kitts for 3 years and dove lots of surrounding islands. Saba was my favorite.

I was a little disappointed with costa rica. Visibility wasn't great but saw lots of bullsharks.

Bermuda is a different pace and lots of wrecks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most scuba divers would kill to see sharks!
That dive knife in a buddy’s back is like a dinner call at the pig farm to sharks. The evidence disappears after a few bites. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :confused-face::eek::cool:

Edit: I have heard Cayman Brac wall diving was spectacular 30 years ago. Someone mentioned that Cayman has coral necrosis, that’s a shame.

I snorkele from shore and the sea life was amazing once, who knows what it is now?

Last edited:

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I go to Grand Cayman when we dive in the Caribbean. Love the North Wall and the wreck of the Oro Verde. We love being pampered by Living The Dream Divers. If you go to Grand Cayman, check them out.
Living the Dream Divers

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now who has seen a Hewbie in the wild besides Paul who I know has? I really want to see one hopefully! I’d definitely use up all my air following the little guy around lol. I know they are abundant/found in many places though. Hewbie came from the warm waters of Costa Rica.:)
IMG_2208.jpeg

Last edited:

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Scuba instructor here.

For semi-convenient locales relative to the East Coast of the US, Bonaire and Saba are my two favorites in the Caribbean.

For seeing the stuff in your tank, you’re most likely gonna want to pursue Indian Ocean diving, which I know nothing about unfortunately.

For other Eastern diving, anything you can find in the Red Sea is likely to be incredible. For some reason, the Red Sea’s reefs tend to be a fraction of the depth of Caribbean reefs. Many times a Caribbean reef at 30’ is over trafficked and you need to get down to 80’ to see sizeable populations. By comparison, the diving I’ve done in Israel, the reef was absolutely magnificent at only 25’ deep.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My wife and I go to Grand Cayman when we dive in the Caribbean. Love the North Wall and the wreck of the Oro Verde. We love being pampered by Living The Dream Divers. If you go to Grand Cayman, check them out.
Living the Dream Divers
I was looking on their website yesterday thanks.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, Scuba instructor here.

For semi-convenient locales relative to the East Coast of the US, Bonaire and Saba are my two favorites in the Caribbean.

For seeing the stuff in your tank, you’re most likely gonna want to pursue Indian Ocean diving, which I know nothing about unfortunately.

For other Eastern diving, anything you can find in the Red Sea is likely to be incredible. For some reason, the Red Sea’s reefs tend to be a fraction of the depth of Caribbean reefs. Many times a Caribbean reef at 30’ is over trafficked and you need to get down to 80’ to see sizeable populations. By comparison, the diving I’ve done in Israel, the reef was absolutely magnificent at only 25’ deep.
Yes definitely! One day Bali is on my list and Australia but that is much further away and much more expensive to get there.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO

#1. Bonaire (whole island is a national marine park, lots of air B&B places, hotels, houses hotels to rent...they take conservation very seriously there, and they just reduced Cruises to 1 a day..
You have to go to Washington Slagbaii National Park also...you won't regret it. It's $40 for the year pass. You can simply Snorkel at the seawall along the island and you will see tons of fish and coral....imho...more than anywhere in the eastern and Western Caribbean...sadly, food aside a place or 2 is awful )

#2. Roatan ( World's 2nd largest Barrier Reef, great food, hotels, air B&B etc, easily accessible, plus you can day trip to the islands of Utila and Guanaja...remote island/fishing villages with no power, but awesome diving/Snorkeling....but.. they don't take care of the reef there....they continue to let 3 to 5 3,000 to 5,000 passenger cruise ships there at least 3 to 5 days a week, and you will see visible coral destruction and death, it's not all bad, but...man oh man has it changed since our 1st visit in 2008)

#3. Curacao ( Beaches, Beaches and more Beaches, easy access to Diving/Snorkeling, great food, tons of options to stay at, as it is very popular....of the ABC Islands, its Bonaire then Curacao, Aruba has great everything too, but it's wayyyy expensive...as it's become a honeymoon spot for wealthy people)

#4. Belize ( Love Belize as its Unbelizable, but not many places to stay as the island itself is kind of small, if you go, stay in Ambergris Key, the most places to stay, night life, dining etc, but it's small in comparison to the rest.

#5. Grand Cayman ( We love GC too, easy to get around, good food places to stay etc, but only a handful of good dive and Snorkel sites....more known for stingray/swimming with sharks, but If you go...go to Cemetery Beach...best Snorkel and dive around, don't worry about having to walk through an actual Cemetery, you will be rewarded in the end....pro tip...go to grocery store right next to there and get cat food....you will attract all the fish!...also...you have to get a pic with the Legend of Big Black Dick...it's a real thing)

Last edited:

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cozumel is pretty solid local diving. Can fly direct from Texas (Houston?). If u go, hat a few dives in to get your skills up, but a night dive is highly recommended. Lots of octopus!

If you do Belize, it can be great, tho make sure u do the outer reef. As others mentioned, lighthouse, turneff etc. some awesome Carribean reef sharks there! Huge barrel sponges. Some cool stuff.

In the future Fiji is actually a pretty quick trip with direct flights from San Francisco to the capital. Grab a live aboard from there!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back