A few macroalgae questions

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Here's a couple questions about macroalgae;
1 - What PAR at the substrate is required to get decent macroalgae growth?
2 - Will 10 turnovers per hour work for most macros?
3 - Would injecting CO2 benefit macroalgae like it does freshwater plants? (I am going to be experimenting with CO2 dosing with a planted tank soon). On a similar vein, would macroalgae benefit from freshwater aquarium fertilizers?
4 - Is there an ideal nitrate/phosphate/etc nutrient level for macros?
5 - Did I miss anything?

I do not currently have any saltwater tanks, but I would like to try a macroalgae tank again some day. Thanks :)

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par level depends on the macro. Reds like less par than greens.

10x is fine. Macros don't need much flow.

Jury is still out on CO2, but the general consensus is it is not needed for macros.

Algae doesn't have roots so root tabs will be of no benefit. They definitely need nitrates and phosphates similar to a coral tank. Not too high or you will get micro growing on your macro. The rest of the elements will be replenished with water changes.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par level depends on the macro. Reds like less par than greens.

10x is fine. Macros don't need much flow.

Jury is still out on CO2, but the general consensus is it is not needed for macros.

Algae doesn't have roots so root tabs will be of no benefit. They definitely need nitrates and phosphates similar to a coral tank. Not too high or you will get micro growing on your macro. The rest of the elements will be replenished with water changes.

I was thinking of using a weak water column fert. Other than that...I think this answers my questions. Thank you :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Here's a couple questions about macroalgae;
1 - What PAR at the substrate is required to get decent macroalgae growth?
2 - Will 10 turnovers per hour work for most macros?
3 - Would injecting CO2 benefit macroalgae like it does freshwater plants? (I am going to be experimenting with CO2 dosing with a planted tank soon). On a similar vein, would macroalgae benefit from freshwater aquarium fertilizers?
4 - Is there an ideal nitrate/phosphate/etc nutrient level for macros?
5 - Did I miss anything?

I do not currently have any saltwater tanks, but I would like to try a macroalgae tank again some day. Thanks :)

The link below will take you to what is a build thread to the most beautiful macro tank I have seen. The OP answers questions but, unfortunately, is not around here much.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.4%
Back