A few new tank issues

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I set up a 32g Fiji cube about a month ago. Everything is going pretty well but I have a few things I could use some help with. I have super cloudy water, I thought it was an algae bloom but it still hasn’t gone away, not sure what is causing it. It’s hard to tell from the pic, but it is not as clear as I’d like it to be. Also my torch is doing well but I don’t think he is fully extended, not sure why. I added a pair of orange storms on Saturday and one scared me when I saw him resting on the sand bed, is this normal for clowns?
anmonia- 0
Nitrite-0
Nitrates- 5-10
Salinity- 1.026
Temp- 78
image.jpg
9E48F9AA-FA69-4BDE-B479-10370E1CBB2C.jpeg
image.jpg
F946F4E5-08C3-488C-90A0-211E92CF85BC.jpeg
this last pic of what my water looked like when I first set it up, now it’s much more cloudy

IAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial bloom, or maybe diatoms on the glass? Have you cleaned the glass yet?

OP
OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been running? What is your water source for your salt mix?
It’s been up for a little over a month. I’ve been using distilled water but I just got my RODI system in yesterday and when I get a chance to set it up I’ll be using that

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been up for a little over a month. I’ve been using distilled water but I just got my RODI system in yesterday and when I get a chance to set it up I’ll be using that

Definitely a good idea to use a RO/DI system. If you just recently added livestock, it could be a bacterial bloom. It should clear up on it's own. Just keep your parameters stable and give it a little time. Make sure to clean filter socks/replace floss and keep up with water changes.

Do you see any particles floating around or is just a milky look?

Clowns resting on the sand bed is not normal behavior. Make sure you have plenty of flow and gas transfer, make sure you keep checking for ammonia as well (and that your test kit is not expired).

Last edited:

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All part of a new system maturing. Go slow with adding corals and fish, and let your system take it's time. Torch corals like medium flow. You may want to consider adding a wave maker, like a Vortech MP10, or Gyre. The Power Head I see in picture prolly won't cover the entire display.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns do that. I’ve seen a few other clowns that do it too, it still scares me though lol

Interesting, I've never had a clown do that in one of my systems. I would suspect low O2 or ammonia if I saw that behavior. I suppose they could act like that if stressed while getting used to a new tank.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resting on the sand could just be 'new to the environment' stress. Keep a close eye on it and report back if it doesn't perk up later today or by tomorrow.
If it were low O2 or high NH3 I feel it would most likely be at the surface gasping for air.

I vote a bacterial bloom on the cloudy water. Keep the surface agitated for gas exchange as a bacterial bloom will consume much of the oxygen your fish require.

For the next week or 2, raise that Maxijet up close to the surface and point the deflector up so it disturbs the surface very well.
If the bloom doesn't clear in a week's time, run some high-quality carbon to remove it.
Make sure you rinse the carbon (GAC) well to remove the dust as you don't want that in the tank.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resting on the sand could just be 'new to the environment' stress. Keep a close eye on it and report back if it doesn't perk up later today or by tomorrow.
If it were low O2 or high NH3 I feel it would most likely be at the surface gasping for air.

I agree that they could also gasp for air at the surface, but the presence of NH3 and/or lack of O2 can cause both effects. Better safe than sorry.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that they could also gasp for air at the surface, but the presence of NH3 and/or lack of O2 can cause both effects. Better safe than sorry.
Agreed, and is why I suggested surface agitation, asked what testing methods are being used, and to keep a close eye on things.
Too many possibilities to know yet what the cause is.

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, and is why I suggested surface agitation, asked what testing methods are being used, and to keep a close eye on things.
Too many possibilities to know yet what the cause is.

Definitely. Stable parameters with plenty of gas exchange.

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last pic dosent have the wave maker pointed at the rock,,
the first and third pic has a wave maker pointed at the rock probably blowing crud of it.
point the wave maker at the surface and the water and fish may get better.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think high silicates can be a cause of cloudy water. If that is the case running gfo will remove silicates.

OP
OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a good idea to use a RO/DI system. If you just recently added livestock, it could be a bacterial bloom. It should clear up on it's own. Just keep your parameters stable and give it a little time. Make sure to clean filter socks/replace floss and keep up with water changes.

Do you see any particles floating around or is just a milky look?

Clowns resting on the sand bed is not normal behavior. Make sure you have plenty of flow and gas transfer, make sure you keep checking for ammonia as well (and that your test kit is not expired).
Just milky water, no particles

OP
OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All part of a new system maturing. Go slow with adding corals and fish, and let your system take it's time. Torch corals like medium flow. You may want to consider adding a wave maker, like a Vortech MP10, or Gyre. The Power Head I see in picture prolly won't cover the entire display.
I swapped the power head with a jebao sow4 wavemaker, it seems to be doing well and I’m considering putting a second one on the opposite side of the tank for better coverage

OP
OP
C

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test;
Salinity
Ammonia
Temperature
Using a Hanna digital refractometer for salinity and temp and I also have an Inkbird for temperature as well. I’m using the API kits for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back