A gorilla crab and an amoeba?

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, after about six months I’ve been discovering new creatures coming about of TBS live rock. Last week, the community helped identify a porcelain crab — which has now been displaced by a crab with mean looking claws. It’s more red than other pics of gorilla crabs I’ve seen. Could it be a red mithrax?

These are the best photos I could get under regular lights. The crab tossed a hermit crab off the Goni frag (which lays to the left of the frag). I tried to catch it but it scurried away.

Also, i came home from a long weekend to a couple of transparent oblong bugs(???) scurrying across the glass. It’s surrounded by several legs and antennae at the front that sweep in and out. These were the best pics I could get and only under blue light. The white specks on the glass are copepods from Algae Barn I tossed in last week.

Thanks for the help.

IMG_1334.jpeg IMG_1351.jpeg IMG_1354.jpeg IMG_1347.jpeg IMG_1350.jpeg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, i came home from a long weekend to a couple of transparent oblong bugs(???) scurrying across the glass. It’s surrounded by several legs and antennae at the front that sweep in and out.
Not sure on the crab, but the bugs are Munnid Isopods - harmless/beneficial pods.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's hard to tell from the pics, but I tend to think it's a gorilla crab. While mithrax and gorilla crabs share a very similar carapace shape (as evidenced in the 1st picture), the 2nd picture shows the darker coloration of the dactyl on its left claw. The 3rd picture shows that the propus of the same claw seems to be pointed and not flattened. Based on what is visible in the pictures, and the area of collection, it could also be a juvenile M. spinosissimus. Either way, I would set a trap and remove it. When you do catch it, send us clear pics under whites and we can confirm or debunk the tentative ID.

OP
OP
A

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to lure that little bugger out for like two hours by dumping food around its latest hideout — which I should’ve realized would also cause the CUC to descend on the area. I got two sets of videos/pics under normal light and one with lights off but with a flash. In one of the pics, the yellow highlighting is the crab and the pink is its reflection. In one of the videos it looks like there’s a baby crab on top of its head? Are these more clear?

Trying to figure out a way to trap it without moving the rock since there’s a porcelain crab and several starfish residing under there so I’d prefer to avoid disturbing the community.

IMG_1403.jpeg IMG_1407.jpeg IMG_1404.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1394.mov
    26.1 MB
  • IMG_1401.mov
    14.6 MB
  • IMG_1398.mov
    16.6 MB
OP
OP
A

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to lure that little bugger out for like two hours by dumping food around its latest hideout — which I should’ve realized would also cause the CUC to descend on the area. I got two sets of videos/pics under normal light and one with lights off but with a flash. In one of the pics, the yellow highlighting is the crab and the pink is its reflection. In one of the videos it looks like there’s a baby crab on top of its head? Are these more clear?

Trying to figure out a way to trap it without moving the rock since there’s a porcelain crab and several starfish residing under there so I’d prefer to avoid disturbing the community.

IMG_1403.jpeg IMG_1407.jpeg IMG_1404.jpeg
Hmmmm doesn’t seem like I can upload my videos (apple).

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doom. Thanks for the ID and the pointer
You're very welcome. Keep us posted on your progress. They make cool sump buddies, so you can avoid sentencing the critter to death, if you choose.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back