fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida Ricordea
rics.jpg

Common Name: Mushroom Coral, Florida False Coral, Anemone Corals, Mushroom Anemones, Ricordea

Origins: Tropical Western Atlantic Ocean: Southern Florida to Brazil, Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean

Husbandry: These are mostly photosynthetic corals, which are approximately 1 – 3 inches in diameter, are among the easiest of all corals to maintain because they do better in somewhat nutrient rich surroundings. They are not true anemones, nor are they true corals, however, they are somewhere in between or more appropriately a comparative anatomy or simply put, a morph.

Flow: The general consensus i have observed is that they like a medium/high flow. They seem to expand bigger and receive a better growth rate in my tank with these conditions.

Lighting: Since in the wild these animals live in shallow reef areas, they love light. I have mine under T5's at the moment, but they thrive under Halides, and somewhat under PC's.

Feeding: Even though the majority of its nutrition mainly comes from its ability to photosensitize, this animal has short tentacles and is also a suspension feeder. And as with any animal with tentacles, they can be fed. Those in my aquariums have responded nicely to zooplankton-like foods such as Cyclop-eeze and baby brine shrimp.

Growth rate: Usually depends on tank conditions and many other variables, such as lighting, flow, nutrient content etc. I have seen around 1 split per 1-2 months.

Color morphs: They come in all types of colors, such as, orange, blue, green, purple, yellow/gold, pink, etc.

Confusions: Usually identified wrong as a Ricordea Yuma or some other Corallimorpharian.

*Note: Feel free to comment* :)

Enjoy,
Steven
Mushy Mod

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone questioning whether they have Ricordea florida or R. yuma, it's quite easy to tell. Look at the mouth of the polyp. The mouth usually sits above the polyp on a cone-like structure. In R. florida the sides of this cone are smooth, but in R. yuma this cone has short tentacles just like the rest of the polyp. It's that easy!

BlackwaterMerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They reproduce differently also right? One splits itself into 2 new shrooms and the other kind spouts out "babies" of itself. Is that correct?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They reproduce differently also right? One splits itself into 2 new shrooms and the other kind spouts out "babies" of itself. Is that correct?

That is correct.....Most of the time, I have never had a yuma split or a Florida drop off babies from the pedal foot.....But I have seen Yumas with multiple mouths that would indicate at some point a splitting....But again I have never seen in person.

Emster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Florida Rics drop off babies, they usually don't do well. I got a very small one right now and keeping an eye on it. Seems like they always get shaded out by the mother. I should try and cut it off and let it grow. Mine usually just split and just recently I have been getting them with 4 mouths going and has not split yet but wont be long :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody got any RIC pics??

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back