A new Acropora eating pest? We caught these in our QT eating Acropora.

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We noticed a couple of our acropora corals in our QT having some STN while others looked great. We have both Indo and Aussie colonies for about 4 months in our QT acclimating and going through dips (5 weeks of bayer) and apparently these guys were unphased by that.
We Flipped a couple over and saw some egg masses where the tissue was receding. We scraped a couple of those off with a razor and put them under the scope. Here are a couple of pictures. To the naked eye, they look like little black dots, which is probably their 2 sets of eyes. Anyone ever seen these? Videos under 400x and pictures under 40x.

Attachments

• pest 3.mp4
    5.7 MB
  • pest video 2.mp4
    5.7 MB
OP
OP
LimestoneCowboy

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We noticed a couple of our acropora corals in our QT having some STN while others looked great. We have both Indo and Aussie colonies for about 4 months in our QT acclimating and going through dips (5 weeks of bayer) and apparently these guys were unphased by that.
We Flipped a couple over and saw some egg masses where the tissue was receding. We scraped a couple of those off with a razor and put them under the scope. Here are a couple of pictures. To the naked eye, they look like little black dots, which is probably their 2 sets of eyes. Anyone ever seen these? Videos under 400x and pictures under 40x.
Couple of stills as well.
Pest 2.jpg
Pest 2.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back