A new beginning

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, probably this is already in discussion, I am so new here, and still grieving over my ich loss. And thinking what if; An authors favorite beginning, what if I take this opportunity of loss to build an aesthetic background of coral and live plants, for my new additions. I have three months no live fish to fill the void. But building the setting in the mean time may be the creative key. Comment sooo welcome.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So, probably this is already in discussion, I am so new here, and still grieving over my ich loss. And thinking what if; An authors favorite beginning, what if I take this opportunity of loss to build an aesthetic background of coral and live plants, for my new additions. I have three months no live fish to fill the void. But building the setting in the mean time may be the creative key. Comment sooo welcome.
Disease as with COVID is often Unexpected. What you can do is Focus on is water quality , set up a quarantine tank and have some meds on hand for future needs.
- Quarantine (QT)- best kit is a 10 or 20 gallon starter kit from Walmart (has most components you will need
- Coppersafe ( for treating ich)
- Copper test kit - to monitor copper levels (No API brand)
- Seachem kanaplex for bacterial issues
- Maracyn 1 for eye issues

Allow tank to run with no fish for 45-60 days and yes you can Gradually add coral and inverts such as a shrimp

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colleen McLain

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disease as with COVID is often Unexpected. What you can do is Focus on water quality , set up a quarantine tank and have some meds on hand for future needs.
- Quarantine (QT)- best kit is a 10 or 20 gallon starter kit from Walmart (has most components you will need
- Coppersafe ( for treating ich)
- Copper test kit - to monitor copper levels (No API brand)
- Seachem kanaplex for bacterial issues
- Maracyn 1 for eye issues

Allow tank to run with no fish for 45-60 days and yes you can Gradually add coral and inverts such as a shrimp
Thank you so kind to reply

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I went fallow, I didn't really add corals to the tank. Fish provide the natural nutrients corals need so there is a balance in the tank eco system with fish and coral. You could probably go with some easy soft corals in the interim but still need to provide the nutrients they need into the water column.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When I went fallow, I didn't really add corals to the tank. Fish provide the natural nutrients corals need so there is a balance in the tank eco system with fish and coral. You could probably go with some easy soft corals in the interim but still need to provide the nutrients they need into the water column.
Thats where foods such as coral vite, reef roids as examples come in to keep the bacteria going.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry you lost fish to ich.

I like the idea of setting a tank up with invertebrates first and add quarantined fish later on.

Jay

OP
OP
Colleen McLain

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears you are clairvoyant. My goby showed up this morning and it appears (no pun)) he isn't seeing very well, Can I dose the tank for this? It seems perhaps I should - Swear I have never entountered these issue before so I am lost

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears you are clairvoyant. My goby showed up this morning and it appears (no pun)) he isn't seeing very well, Can I dose the tank for this? It seems perhaps I should - Swear I have never entountered these issue before so I am lost

Does the goby have cloudy eyes?
Are they protruding?
Would you be able to get a photo?

Sometimes, fish bump around like they cannot see, but it is actually something else, termed being moribund, or close to death.

Jay

OP
OP
Colleen McLain

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the goby have cloudy eyes?
Are they protruding?
Would you be able to get a photo?

Sometimes, fish bump around like they cannot see, but it is actually something else, termed being moribund, or close to death.

Jay
Yes I will take pix tonight - not bulging but it was like he couldn't see the food drifting around himer ~ I have been watching on my ring camera and he is hanging out outside his den as usual - he never goes far, picking at the sea bed ~ I picking up a QT kit for him/her today on way home tonight. Since the rest of the tank is thriving I can get the goby to a safe place and let the rest run its course.

OP
OP
Colleen McLain

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will take pix tonight - not bulging but it was like he couldn't see the food drifting around himer ~ I have been watching on my ring camera and he is hanging out outside his den as usual - he never goes far, picking at the sea bed ~ I picking up a QT kit for him/her today on way home tonight. Since the rest of the tank is thriving I can get the goby to a safe place and let the rest run its course.
1649853415308.jpeg

He is in a 3.7 QT tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colleen McLain

Colleen McLain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220414_202539.jpg
My goby has mad this tank his home for the past 8 weeks. It is a great little tank. The rock is beach rock I have had for years and now is a lovely shade of purple we all desire. This tank was treated with all the meds ICK rid and Maracyn Oxy, small doses of copper safe. I made the mistake of putting 2 snail in the tank before I turned over the medicated water to salt. I replaced 4 cups of this tank water every three days with water from my DT - acclimating the goby back to the DT. I am a bit afraid to send him back but I think the eight weeks has put an end to the ick.
I have added some corals, polyps mostly, and a peppermint shrimp to the display tank. One cluster has meet disaster in the form of a snail. I had not yet decided where I wanted home for them to be when over night the stone was over turned and the seat of the polyps was torn from the stone. The clusters on either end of the stone are fine - the ones in the center are traumatized, although I know they will repair themselves; the tear allows them to dangle over the skeleton I wish for them to cover. I will take a photo of the display tank - it isn't the rock design I want. I wanted to cover the back wall with sheer descending soft corals, but is seeing some of your displays I am questioning that look. As I have said to anyone who asks isn't that a lot of work? - my reply "It's a labor of love"

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back