A question for the experts on ich

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish room is in my boiler room in my basement. Givin that my qt are so close to my sump would that make my qt pointless?
I wouldn't call it pointless. Rather extremely risky and a great chance of cross contamination.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great question and one hotly debated. I'll use an analogy to help you decide on what's best for your tank.

Would you vaccinate your child to prevent a possible infection or disease that "could" be fatal, knowing that some of his/her friends may be carriers of infection or disease or would you prefer that her/his immune system fight the disease without inoculation?

Here’s food for thought, since most of the fish we buy aren’t captive bred those fish retrieved from the ocean undoubtedly have been exposed to ich at some time in their lives. I would say most wild caught fish have some immune response to ich. IMO with that eradicating ich can be done safely.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of you have convinced me that eradicating is the better alternative. As soon as I can figure out a way to do it in my system that's the way I'm going. My problem is not having the space to house all of my fish in other tanks at the same time.

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it pointless. Rather extremely risky and a great chance of cross contamination.
This is my setup. Qt on the right and sump in the left

20190331_130937.jpg

Cmedeiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great question and one hotly debated. I'll use an analogy to help you decide on what's best for your tank.

Would you vaccinate your child to prevent a possible infection or disease that "could" be fatal, knowing that some of his/her friends may be carriers of infection or disease or would you prefer that her/his immune system fight the disease without inoculation?

75e42370cf02ee88c42f3d8473d5def6.jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of you have convinced me that eradicating is the better alternative. As soon as I can figure out a way to do it in my system that's the way I'm going. My problem is not having the space to house all of my fish in other tanks at the same time.

I have successfully done ttm in 2.5 gallon tanks for a single small fish. It doesnt need to be large if you are are keeping an eye on ammonia and using cycled media.

*Caveat if I encountered velvet during this i would fill an empty 10 or 20 gallon sitting in my shed and start copper. And i start with CP for fish that are not wrasses or anthias.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have successfully done ttm in 2.5 gallon tanks for a single small fish. It doesnt need to be large if you are are keeping an eye on ammonia and using cycled media.

*Caveat if I encountered velvet during this i would fill an empty 10 or 20 gallon sitting in my shed and start copper. And i start with CP for fish that are not wrasses or anthias.
I don't have any wrasses or anthias so I'm ok on that front for now. I'm going to do a little more reading on the sticky threads to make sure that I'm not missing anything for my other fish before I start. It's probably going to take me a while but I'm thinking about getting some 10 gallon tanks at petco during their sale and figuring out how to fit them all around the house to accomplish this

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many small lfs get used tanks from time to time most of my hospital tanks are from that.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back