Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A44B79A8-D077-4FF9-AFC1-D5503C517F17.jpeg
Another progress pic. Not too different from before. Honestly, even if a little bit of the flesh survives, it’s better than nothing. The fact that it’s been infected for so long and isn’t completely gone is a good sign to me.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me, it looks like there is progress. the one that really got me was the one where the head was so sunk in, that it looks like there was a hole in the top. this seems so much better than before

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. I've got a nem in my display that needs cipro, but I cant get him out. I might give the full tank treatment a go.

Nems are different for dosing. Not sure if the bjd dose would suffice for nem treatment. Never tried it at that low of a dose for them.
For what its worth i used the in tank cipro treatment outlined by aquabiomics in the thread already shared here mainly for my nem tank. A few of my nems were showing signs of bacterial infection and i thought this may be an option instead of pulling them all.

I used the recommended dose but instead of the 3 doses i dosed everyday for 7 days. I found that nothing was harmed but i dont think it did much for most of the nems. One BTA showed noticeable improvement and healed but the gigs and mag did not so i had to pull them. I treated them as outlined by orion with cipro in a HT.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had brown jelly disease a few times. Each time I have stopped by hanging the coral in front of a Tunze streamer.
The Coral shall be just a few inches from the pump in so strong flow that all tentacles retract.
In such a current the brown jelly is blown away. Strange but it did not affect other corals it landed on.
It was other Euphyllias and, Seriatoporas.
I had them hanging there over night to be sure that all the rests of the brown jelly had gone.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth i used the in tank cipro treatment outlined by aquabiomics in the thread already shared here mainly for my nem tank. A few of my nems were showing signs of bacterial infection and i thought this may be an option instead of pulling them all.

I used the recommended dose but instead of the 3 doses i dosed everyday for 7 days. I found that nothing was harmed but i dont think it did much for most of the nems. One BTA showed noticeable improvement and healed but the gigs and mag did not so i had to pull them. I treated them as outlined by orion with cipro in a HT.
Ugh. Thanks for the info. I guess I'm going to have to get a bit more aggressive to get this guy out if I want to save it.

Back to the topic at hand. This thread has turned into something incredible with 3 proven BJD treatments from 3 legit sources. Now it seems none are foolproof, but reefers at least have some treatment options to try instead of standing by hopelessly watching BJD take down their prized colonies.

Birthisel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if this is the so-called "marine snot" that occurs due to excess dissolved carbon, does it occur elsewhere in the tank? If so, using activated carbon and eliminating organic additives like vodka will fix it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell if this is the so-called "marine snot" that occurs due to excess dissolved carbon, does it occur elsewhere in the tank? If so, using activated carbon and eliminating organic additives like vodka will fix it.
BJD, brown jelly disease, is a bacterial infection of the coral. Typically euphillia are the ones affected. It is also similar to elegance disease. The bacterial infection causes the coral to slime heavily and the decaying tissue from the infection, mixed with the slime is brown and thick.

@AquaBiomics did extensive testing of bjd, the abundance in water and the effects of antibiotics on the targeted bacteria. As well as testing of other beneficial bacteria during treatments.

So far, it is all a work in progress. But has promising results being shown.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The torch looks a lot better than it did yesterday. I think I’ll do another hydrogen peroxide dip today and see where that goes. I don’t see that much brown jelly today so it’s possible that I removed most of it yesterday. At this point, it may just be tissue recession from all the stress and disease. There are some areas that melted back but so far it looks like I may be able to savage some of it. I’ll keep you updated on the progress!
448D86DD-0E36-4222-BAF2-D046053FC387.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should mention that the QT tank is technically meant for fish, so it doesn’t have any special lighting besides the stock Top Fin lighting the tank came with. Will this be a problem or should it suffice? Also, I currently have the torch in indirect lighting/flow. Should I move it, or is it okay as is?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should mention that the QT tank is technically meant for fish, so it doesn’t have any special lighting besides the stock Top Fin lighting the tank came with. Will this be a problem or should it suffice? Also, I currently have the torch in indirect lighting/flow. Should I move it, or is it okay as is?
There may be some slight bleaching, but some light can be enough light. If it does start poking back out and expanding, even a normal light bulb will provide enough light. 100w equivalent light bulb will sustain a mag nem during treatment.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the DT, I have two frogspawns that are slightly closed, and an indo torch that is doing well. Should I not worry until there’s an obvious problem, or would it be wise to treat them with something?

Also, as far as in-tank antibiotics go for the QT, I have chemiclean, which appears to be more of an algae killer than anything. Would it have any use against BJD?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the DT, I have two frogspawns that are slightly closed, and an indo torch that is doing well. Should I not worry until there’s an obvious problem, or would it be wise to treat them with something?

Also, as far as in-tank antibiotics go for the QT, I have chemiclean, which appears to be more of an algae killer than anything. Would it have any use against BJD?
There has been success with chemiclean and bjd. It is not for algae, as cyano is a bacteria.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AHHH Happy news finally! It's like a breath of fresh air. I am so happy to see this.
The torch looks a lot better than it did yesterday. I think I’ll do another hydrogen peroxide dip today and see where that goes. I don’t see that much brown jelly today so it’s possible that I removed most of it yesterday. At this point, it may just be tissue recession from all the stress and disease. There are some areas that melted back but so far it looks like I may be able to savage some of it. I’ll keep you updated on the progress!
448D86DD-0E36-4222-BAF2-D046053FC387.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back