A single ATI Blue + Hybrid?

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Radions XR15 Blues on my reef and I have the space to add a single T5 bulb over my SPS row at the back. It would be 8 inches above water and my acros start about 6 inches below.

Does it even make sense to use 1 bulb? I don't think it would be much Par but I defer to those who know. I'm mainly adding for the benefits people talk about with T5, like spectrum and a bit of spread. I'm leaning Blue + but I'd take recommendations.

Gimme your ideas guys.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absoulutley in the “corals will grow but now its about look” zone ...
and multiple opinions will be equally right..

I’m always championing 12K and to take a stab a blue special will lean you there but for a single I like 6500K ...

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are absoulutley in the “corals will grow but now its about look” zone ...
and multiple opinions will be equally right..

I’m always championing 12K and to take a stab a blue special will lean you there but for a single I like 6500K ...
Well I'm about growth and colour for Acros. I'm gonna be running it only at peak for a few hours. I don't care how it looks then. Lol

6500 bulb? Wow. I'm interested. Why is that? Which bulb exactly.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm about growth and colour for Acros. I'm gonna be running it only at peak for a few hours. I don't care how it looks then. Lol

6500 bulb? Wow. I'm interested. Why is that? Which bulb exactly.
I’m pretty sure all of the major bulb manufacturers make a FW plant bulb or “whiter” or “daylight” or “full spectrum” bulb that emits down into the “reds”.

The reason is Adding 6500K will sorta whiten the look up, mitigate the fake “windex” look. Less blue pop but more realistic color rendition IMO.

At risk of accuracy I’d say off the cuff on a 6 bulb fixture I’d add 1 blue special and one purple plus, all the rest blue + . My tank has that combo and looks 12K-ish
for 4 bulbs I’d try 1 purple type bulb.

other opinions/options probably equally good

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure all of the major bulb manufacturers make a FW plant bulb or “whiter” or “daylight” or “full spectrum” bulb that emits down into the “reds”.

The reason is Adding 6500K will sorta whiten the look up, mitigate the fake “windex” look. Less blue pop but more realistic color rendition IMO.

At risk of accuracy I’d say off the cuff on a 6 bulb fixture I’d add 1 blue special and one purple plus, all the rest blue + . My tank has that combo and looks 12K-ish
for 4 bulbs I’d try 1 purple type bulb.

other opinions/options probably equally good

Thanks. Colour rendition isn't really am issue because when it's on i won't be home. I care about faster growth rates. @wmchaseb I have an Orphek Blue + bar on the tank but I want to "fill in" the spectrum that leds supposedly don't have. People rave about T5 and halides for growth. I just want to see if a bulb directly over my Acros would make sense.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back