A terrible question to ask. Fish preservation post mortum?

willisd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for the brief thread and not a ton of prior explanation, but I am curious if anyone is aware of any sort of fish preservation options that are available for treasured fish once they leave us.

I have tragically had a latent velvet outbreak that has managed to make fairly quick work of my reef in the last week and I am down to a seemingly fine flame angel and my poor 17 year old hippo tang who is circling the drain.

Mr Blue is a true treasure to the family and he’s currently in the acclimation box to live out his last breaths because I can’t bring myself to do anything else in some prayer he makes it.

Is there any sort of options for casting in resin or doing taxidermy of some sort on a well preserved corpse? I know this sounds terrible but this fish had been with me half my life and I’d like to try to keep him with me in some way.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Covering them in salt can quickly dry the bodies out but it won't preserve colors very well.

Casting in resin with moisture still in the body may cause it to just rot in the resin but I'm not certain of that.

OP
OP
W

willisd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just bury him in the same pot that his brother the foxface lives in and not be so macabre about it.

I’d rather not be cruel and defile and old friend either. He had some real battle scars and survived 3 tank transfers. I used to complain he was always sticking his face in my pictures.

IMG_3096.jpeg

17 years has to be about the lifespan in the wild anyway. I doubt I’ll ever be able to keep another hippo, none could live up to mr blue.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I just did. The process says that them ordering method of doing such would be to make a mold and then fill with either fiberglass or resin.

Edit: let me clarify, I googled this. Forgot to quote the message I was responding too.

It does appear there are fish taxidermists available and as sam suggests, the “old” method was wrap and then freeze until it could be transported.

I can provide the link if you wish.

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes! Find a local taxidermist ideally one who’s preserved or specializes in fish. You could also buy Formaldehyde and stick it in a jar (it’s a bit more complicated but plenty of online resources about it) or encase it in resin. Lots of options.

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry about your fish! Any reputable taxidermist should be able to do a fine job on him.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do you say that?
Because that's what taxidermists do. They either use a mold painted to look like the fish, or they use the actual fish hide, but painted. Fish skin doesn't keep much color past death, unlike fur or feathers. I'm also not sure they could do much for something so small compared to a gamefish.

Fish colors are very hard to preserve past death. Artwork, and burial somewhere nice, would probably be your best bet. I have a large terrarium I bury fish in.

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Because that's what taxidermists do. They either use a mold painted to look like the fish, or they use the actual fish hide, but painted. Fish skin doesn't keep much color past death, unlike fur or feathers. I'm also not sure they could do much for something so small compared to a gamefish.

Fish colors are very hard to preserve past death. Artwork, and burial somewhere nice, would probably be your best bet. I have a large terrarium I bury fish in.
Oh i know, i have quite a few animals mounted. I was unsure why he was almost guaranteeing it wont be his fish used. I bet finding a mold would be tough though.

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt a taxidermist will have a mold or able to get one, possible one could be sculptured. save as many pictures that you have and keep him froze. I have a friend in La Grange TX who does this kind of work. Calling in a few, its still early there. will let you know. His name is Michael Schlabach , owner of MAD Taxidermy. He may not be able to do your fish but may lead you to right person who can.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i know, i have quite a few animals mounted. I was unsure why he was almost guaranteeing it wont be his fish used. I bet finding a mold would be tough though.
They can make a mold from the fish out of plaster of Paris, etc., a front side and a back side. Let that set, then have two sides to work with using whatever casting resin/urethane is popular now and make a whole fish.

If you are handy with paints you could also do a fish print. Look up "gyotaku". Make a school of them on rice paper.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a morbid threat tittle.
I flush all my fish. I sometime use them as fertilizer for my outdoor plants. Need to put them deep enough so animal won't dig them up and kill my plants. I normally don't throw them into the garbage can unless trash day is the next day.

Cannot preserve the majestic of my animals postmortem other than in photos.
This is how I preserved my fish. That piece of fish jerky went to the garbage can.
My Naoko Wrasse from the fish store (Petco) to his full majestic then to his demise when I was in too much of a hurry lifting the lid to feed, no more than 15 seconds. I was in a hurry and did not see him jumped when I briefly open the tank lid.
Camera and lots of picture of your favorite animals.
NaokoFairy2019080201.jpg
NaokoFairy2019092401watermarked.jpg
NaokoFairy2019102901Jumped.jpg

BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg
Carpets2014080501watermarked.jpg
CBB2016052301.jpg
Clams2023051301CroceaMinh1.jpg
FlameAngel2019080501MaleNuptial.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back