A thread tracking the incidence of seneye nh3 misreads

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very helpful input thank you LRT

you’re been subjecting your seneye to all kinds of tests, if it stays at .001 (indicates ideal ammonia oxidation perhaps) but still responds to feeding events we may have to allow for .001 to exist as a viable read. It’s neat how still in 2022 what ammonia nh3 does at the steady state low level is being discerned and isn’t firm knowledge yet. Fun to be on cutting edge anything aquarium science
No problem man. Forgot to mention Dan highly reccomends calibrating Seneye throughout process. I cant wait to get into more testing with Seneye soon. Between my 3 temp probes and proper ph calibration with pinpoint and test kits we should be able to start nailing down measured feeds and tank stocking. Its honestly taking everything I have to not pull the trigger and start playing around with things but in the middle of a house deal and move atm!

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very helpful input thank you LRT

you’re been subjecting your seneye to all kinds of tests, if it stays at .001 (indicates ideal ammonia oxidation perhaps) but still responds to feeding events we may have to allow for .001 to exist as a viable read. It’s neat how still in 2022 what ammonia nh3 does at the steady state low level is being discerned and isn’t firm knowledge yet. Fun to be on cutting edge anything aquarium science
I do actually have ammonia that came with my Fritz turbo 900 when I was cycling a few months back. I could take some tank water, dose a couple drops of ammonia and see if it raises and what it raises to. Mine did not fluctuate at all when it was reading .001 and does now not move off of .04. I did properly pre soak the slide for 48 hours and was very careful to only touch the side of the slide. The slide was soaked IN my tank for the full 48 hours. I made a contraption so there was no temp fluctuation due to using tank water in an outside container.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not think of that, excellent!

it’s already trim tuned for your water sample, excellent. Try and not hit near the probe with the drop, maybe even pre dilute the ammonia into other tank water shot before adding. Jon Malkerson found that when cycle proofing with his seneye the placement of the drop can skew the readings a little bit as a more pronounced spike than when placed in a sump, for example.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do actually have ammonia that came with my Fritz turbo 900 when I was cycling a few months back. I could take some tank water, dose a couple drops of ammonia and see if it raises and what it raises to. Mine did not fluctuate at all when it was reading .001 and does now not move off of .04. I did properly pre soak the slide for 48 hours and was very careful to only touch the side of the slide. The slide was soaked IN my tank for the full 48 hours. I made a contraption so there was no temp fluctuation due to using tank water in an outside container.
Agreed with Brandon this would be excellent. Im very interested to know myself.
What kind of ammonia?
Also can you reset you seneye setting and just calibrate your temp and ph? Its not at all wierd for your seneye to be reading/ staying stuck on .001. To me that is a good sign your not over feeding and what you are feeding, your tank is fully capable of processing. Ive seen this through several new tank set ups including my current tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back