A Weight For Mesh Socks

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...there has to be something so obvious, but I can't think up something....whether it's a brainfart or not. What can I use as a weight to put in a mesh filter sock to hold it down so the air bubbles can travel up and out. I just got some 50 micron mesh socks but they get air stuck into them in the bottom portion, making them float up. In which, makes them act like they are clogged, when they are not. Something like a metal ball would be perfect for it's intent but obviously it can not be metal. I am afraid a piece of live rock will snag the mesh. Any ideas?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A metal ball covered in reef safe epoxy?

A magnet inside that can be attracted to a magnet on the bottom?

Empty snail shells like the type used for hermit crabs, which are far less likely to snag?

Bioballs/ceramic media?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A couple pieces of rock rubble or bio balls

OP
OP
chaoticreefer

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about bioballs (siporax) but I think they are too light and would need many of them, I want something that is simple that I can just drop in and drop out without hassle of multiples and multiples, something easy to transfer without making big mess. Snail shells are even lighter.

OP
OP
chaoticreefer

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about a river rock just now. What do you all think about that? Leeching problems since it wouldn't be from SW environment?

OP
OP
chaoticreefer

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some 2" marbles on ebay. My favorite is the cobalt blue ones. I wonder if they are a big no-no and I should try to find ones that are as clear as possible.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found some 2" marbles on ebay. My favorite is the cobalt blue ones. I wonder if they are a big no-no and I should try to find ones that are as clear as possible.
Well... if its painted then I would say don't put that in. If its glass thats been mixed with the color and then cooled, it should be fine. I'm sure there are smarter people on here that know better.

OP
OP
chaoticreefer

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... if its painted then I would say don't put that in. If its glass thats been mixed with the color and then cooled, it should be fine. I'm sure there are smarter people on here that know better.

No, they are not painted. They are transparent when held to light, according to the ebay pics.

OP
OP
chaoticreefer

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you getting air in them? What sump do you have?

It's because after couple years of running my bulkhead on the overflow box decided to start leaking for a day or two every time I move the down pipe to remove the sock. I have gotten a wrench back there and tighten it but it just becomes loose again when I mess with the drain plumbing. And I am afraid the more times I mess with it the more chance of a major failure will happen. In order to permanently fix it, I would have to do a major tear down, something I am not willing to do. So the easiest solution was just to take off the down pipe so I can change socks without messing with the drain plumbing. So...without the down pipe that's where the air is coming from.

I ran the tank without socks for couple years because of it, but I like using socks so I finally gave in and went with the louder solution.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back