A word of praise for the Brine Shrimp "Hatchery Dish"

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been experimenting with hatching Artemia nauplii as a reliable daily live food source for my reef tanks and finally came across a solution that is so simple it requires almost no effort on my part. After being frustrated with the amount of time it takes trying to separate nauplii from the cysts and other gunk or decapsulating eggs, I finally bit the bullet and picked up a "Hobby" brand hatchery dish.

I have it sitting on the stand next to my nano reef utilizing the spillover light from the tank and added the first batch of eggs about 30 hours ago. This morning I woke up to find the little strainer dipper thing completely packed with nauplii and nothing else. Any time I walk by the tank and feel like it, I add a scoop of nauplii without having to worry about polluting the tank. No air lines, sieving, problems. Just pour some eggs in and forget about it!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it sitting on the stand next to my nano reef utilizing the spillover light from the tank and added the first batch of eggs about 30 hours ago. This morning I woke up to find the little strainer dipper thing completely packed with nauplii and nothing else. Any time I walk by the tank and feel like it, I add a scoop of nauplii without having to worry about polluting the tank. No air lines, sieving, problems. Just pour some eggs in and forget about it!

(lol)
That's great... ;Singing ;Singing ;Singing

OP
OP
biophilia

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, should have added a pic! I’m away from home for a few hours but will when I get home. In the meantime, here’s a picture of a brine shrimp to wet your appetites:

3D4AB07F-C293-4680-A3E5-5E57B57FEF4A.jpeg

OP
OP
biophilia

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the little collection sieve cup full of nauplii:

Note: I used 2 scoops instead of the max. of 3 the directions recommended and have already scooped about 6x what is shown in the video into the tank... so the hatch rate seems decent for having no airline. In the future, I'll probably just do one scoop about twice per week.

The shells and unhatched eggs are kept well away from the center:
brine2.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you post a link?

OP
OP
biophilia

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of my Stylophora colony going to town on them:

On another note, Artemia is the only thing my pajama cardinalfish will eat other than Hikari S pellets and the occasional amphipod.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the soda bottle with airline set up and it was a hassle, especially separating the shrimp from the eggs so now that one is sitting on the no longer needed shelf. This looks great and just ordered one, thanks!

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd love to try this for my mandarin. Getting sick of buying copepods all the time!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all are you targeting with the live brine shrimp? Mandarins, pipefish or maybe the entire reef as a whole? Have you noticed any benefits?

An easy way to "try it" on your reef is a little jar of Ocean Nutrition's Instant Baby Brine Shrimp.
51%2BV6s8UowL.jpg

(actual size the jar is <2" tall...not as big as the image appears to me)

Not live, but still has the buoyancy and other positive attributes of newly hatched brine shrimp.

My corals really like them and there's no noticeable waste in the skimmer or elsewhere. Short of hatching your own, this is my favorite. They're shelf-stable until opened too, so that's nice....they make a nice backup food in some instances.

image.png I've mostly hatched out of a DIY version of one pictured and it works pretty well too:

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cant figure out how they collect in the center? What makes them go to the center instead of just swimming everywhere after they hatch?

Cayenne1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant figure out how they collect in the center? What makes them go to the center instead of just swimming everywhere after they hatch?

I used this same hatcher in the 80's to feed baby clownfish. The shrimp are attracted to light and will swim to the center when the cover is on. The barriers keep the egg cases back as they float.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 57 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back