Aaron's 1,000+ gallon reef build

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I'm not usually a fan of huge tanks, but this one is special. I used to have a koi pond before I moved, and I like how this combines a saltwater system with the form factor of a pond. Nicely done so far.

I can't imagine what the evaporation rate is going to be with something that has this much surface area. What's your plans for the ATO system?

OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I'm not usually a fan of huge tanks, but this one is special. I used to have a koi pond before I moved, and I like how this combines a saltwater system with the form factor of a pond. Nicely done so far.

I can't imagine what the evaporation rate is going to be with something that has this much surface area. What's your plans for the ATO system?

Thank you!

Haven’t decided if I want to connect one of my RODIs straight up to a float valve or use a separate reservoir/kalkwasser that I manually refill each week.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I missed a lot, I really enjoy this build. I like DIY and as attractive as some of the big pretty custom sumps are, I like the plywood ones. Great way to get what you want with out having to pay the insane prices for custom builds. fantastic system man!

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! I totally wasn’t thinking and when I woke up the next day and looked at that 2x4 and did this [emoji1751]‍[emoji3603]. I used a forstner bit and drilled through most of it till I could break it in half. Lol maybe 1 too many beers [emoji481] that night.
I did this when I build a glass sump. I used a little board to prop up the glass and let it all dry and then cussed loudly when I had to cut a baffle out to retrieve the board.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking in and finally up to date with the thread.
Congratulations on the progress so far.
A tank unique as this one asks for patience and a well thought process.
Wishing you all the best!

OP
OP
MimicOcto8

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A great big one. LOL!

It's a good question. What will you use?

A great big lol! Aquarium engineering

dd8994f07bfe1925a1b16512992b6b78.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back