Abby's 20 gallon rimless nano

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been around for three or so years in varying tanks (5g, 10g, now the 20), and moved last year from an apartment to my newly built house. Hubby wouldn't let me do a built-in tank.. Sadness!

Here's those pictures you came here for...

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119590.200378.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119610.189328.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119631.874387.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119653.497003.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119678.812049.jpg

Yep, the rocks are new, the old rocks I believe were leeching phosphate... I've had them for close to 7 years, and they were previously in my old predator tank, and before that were in a tank that ran for 10+ years. They were dense and when I hammered some encrusted corals off they crumbled easily... Yuck!The new rocks are from reefcleaners, I soaked them in rodi and scrubbed em, and slowly replaced one rock at a time to minimize all those bad things that can happen.

Equipment-
20g marineland rimless + stand
Dumb wave point LED, Chinese LED fixture on the way
Koraila powerhead
Jebao wp25
Reef Octopus hob skimmer (bh-1000 I think)
GFO in a media bag in a chamber on the skimmer
.2ml vodka daily

Livestock -
Pair ORA snowflake clowns
Scooter blenny
Short spine urchin
Green BTA
Trumpet coral, rehabbing
Duncan coral
Kenya tree
GSP
Green lobo
War coral
Flowerpot coral
Branching hammer
Cup coral
Red monti cap
Favia
Reef cleaners cuc

I do 5 gallon water changes once or twice weekly, vacuum the sand and scrub the rocks. Feed mysis twice a week, omega one micro pellets daily- scooter blenny loves these, and a mix of people seafood whenever we make some for ourselves.

Yay!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great and it is not easy to keep a tank so algae free for three years of transition, thats a lot of nutrient upwelling that eventually presents a challenge but you handled it great

OP
OP
reef_grrrl

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid algae, but I picked up a quad t5 and ATI bulbs to go with it. Looks a lot better, very happy with the lighting! Also got a bit of frogspawn, looks good!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1424380966.782672.jpg

OP
OP
reef_grrrl

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, haven't updated this in a year... Here's how it stands now. Added a HOB overflow, and switched to a Kessil 150 sky blue, corals have been added and some traded. Recent picture.. About a month old. Same fish, added a purple firefish that came out of QT a few days ago, moved the urchin to my daughters' tank because he was eating all my coralline. Added skunk cleaner shrimp maybe 6 months ago. Now I'm running rubble and cheato in my sump, along with filter floss that gets changed weekly, GFO, carbon, and Purigen. Added Hydor ATO that tops off with kalk.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1456070714.459635.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been around for three or so years in varying tanks (5g, 10g, now the 20), and moved last year from an apartment to my newly built house. Hubby wouldn't let me do a built-in tank.. Sadness!

Here's those pictures you came here for...

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119590.200378.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119610.189328.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119631.874387.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119653.497003.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1422119678.812049.jpg

Yep, the rocks are new, the old rocks I believe were leeching phosphate... I've had them for close to 7 years, and they were previously in my old predator tank, and before that were in a tank that ran for 10+ years. They were dense and when I hammered some encrusted corals off they crumbled easily... Yuck!The new rocks are from reefcleaners, I soaked them in rodi and scrubbed em, and slowly replaced one rock at a time to minimize all those bad things that can happen.

Equipment-
20g marineland rimless + stand
Dumb wave point LED, Chinese LED fixture on the way
Koraila powerhead
Jebao wp25
Reef Octopus hob skimmer (bh-1000 I think)
GFO in a media bag in a chamber on the skimmer
.2ml vodka daily

Livestock -
Pair ORA snowflake clowns
Scooter blenny
Short spine urchin
Green BTA
Trumpet coral, rehabbing
Duncan coral
Kenya tree
GSP
Green lobo
War coral
Flowerpot coral
Branching hammer
Cup coral
Red monti cap
Favia
Reef cleaners cuc

I do 5 gallon water changes once or twice weekly, vacuum the sand and scrub the rocks. Feed mysis twice a week, omega one micro pellets daily- scooter blenny loves these, and a mix of people seafood whenever we make some for ourselves.

Yay!
Looks awesome!!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to fight the algae battle?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

OP
OP
reef_grrrl

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to fight the algae battle?

Accidentally spiked my salinity while doing a water change and drinking a beer too many. Knocked most of my corals back, and killed all the algae.................

If you look close at the picture there's a ton of hair algae. I very occasionally hit a spot with peroxide (because of the shrimp, otherwise I'd bomb it) and I recently tried Phosphate RX to weaken it so I can manually pull it. I'm not running my skimmer anymore mainly because it looks ugly hanging off my tank, and it doesn't fit in my teensy sump, I'm sure my phosphates are sky high cause I feed like a ****- NLS pellets and LRS Reef Frenzy.. I currently do 25% water changes every few weeks. The only algae I get is hair algae on the rocks, the glass stays completely clean. I have no secret, take pictures after you prune some? Hahaaaa

wow, i like the progression of your tank! really looks good!

Thanks man!!

Looks good!

Eeee! Thanks Rev!!!

Wow those kessils really make the tank look natural

Yeah it does! I hated it when I first put it on, but I really love it now, I think I'll always use Kessils, the shimmer is amazing and all the colors are gorgeous. Wish I had more pop, I'm toying with the idea of getting a royal blue or violet led strip to supplement.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some hermits for your HA. I did and they've taken care of it all. Never touched my corals. If your worried about them nibbling your corals just feed a little extra but just enough so they eat it all.

OP
OP
reef_grrrl

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some hermits for your HA. I did and they've taken care of it all. Never touched my corals. If your worried about them nibbling your corals just feed a little extra but just enough so they eat it all.
I have a few hermits, there's probably 5 or 6 in there. I tend to prefer snails to hermits though. All my hermits came in accidentally from my snail only reef cleaners order lol. Thanks !

OP
OP
reef_grrrl

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1458822321.537011.jpg

Neat shot of my orange bam bams. Got maybe eight polyps from a local reefer, now there's about 20. Wish my Sunny Ds would grow that fast lol

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back