Abnormal Derasa Mantle

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the years and the clams I keep I never seen a mantle that is indented in like this mantle of my Derasa.
I got him several months ago from Petco. I notice the abnormality but assumed that it is due to shipping stress and did not think much of it. Now after several months, growing well, the abnormality persists. I wonder if any reefers with Tridacna clams, of any species with similar looking mantle.
In the picture below the sunken area on the mantle is clearly seen. It sorta look like skull eye spots or scream face mask.
Anybody?
9B44009D-EF47-447E-BA52-C7FC1B39B902.jpeg

It is growing well
D40AFF7E-169E-4484-9A1D-2BCF1F7568A4.jpeg

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, that is kinda strange. But like most living things, genetics can be funky sometimes. I've seen pictures of clams with multiple exhalant siphons. I've also seen clams with "crinkled" mantles, which is really funky.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this clam doing today?

As far as mantle shapes I can't claim to have seen this same one before but I have noticed that there is quite a bit of varibility in extention, warping, and general shapes in many different clam species. I have noticed because routinely I pick one I think is best shaped and they died quickly, (presumably wrong shape?) Clams that I have had shipped to me I thought looked good or bad followed the same trajectories. Just found a tiny deresa for $20 while fish store hoppping and bought him instantly. Too cheap to not take a chance. :)

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back