Abnormally fast cycle?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're really stuck on that "don't test it" thought process, huh? Interesting that that would be your response. So I should just trust that everything works instead of watching it work and actually learning about it. Neat. You're clearly missing the point of my last post that basically said you were correct with almost everything except it IS a good idea to test.

Seriously, in a world of "what are your values" why do you make it seem like it's a bad idea to test? Genuinely curious on that one.

I'm just trying to figure out why it's a bad idea to test, that's all.
I agree with you 100%. I don't believe in putting animals in a tank full of nitrite but some say it's great. Some think stress fron nitrite and other cycle by products aren't stressful. I don't. I still believe in the old way. I don't have any disease problems because animals are happy and not purposely exposed to toxic substances. A book will give the op a base line to return to when getting hammered her with to much info that conflicts.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you 100%. I don't believe in putting animals in a tank full of nitrite but some say it's great. Some think stress fron nitrite and other cycle by products aren't stressful. I don't. I still believe in the old way. I don't have any disease problems because animals are happy and not purposely exposed to toxic substances. A book will give the op a base line to return to when getting hammered her with to much info that conflicts.
Also sorry. My post was meant for the op.. lol. I'm with you. Lol.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're really stuck on that "don't test it" thought process, huh? Interesting that that would be your response. So I should just trust that everything works instead of watching it work and actually learning about it. Neat. You're clearly missing the point of my last post that basically said you were correct with almost everything except it IS a good idea to test.

Seriously, in a world of "what are your values" why do you make it seem like it's a bad idea to test? Genuinely curious on that one.

I'm just trying to figure out why it's a bad idea to test, that's all.
Sorry. That was supposed to be for the OP.

OP
OP
notMrDurden

notMrDurden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got ya, I can assure you that this forum isn't my only source of information haha. Any suggestions on a good book?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got ya, I can assure you that this forum isn't my only source of information haha. Any suggestions on a good book?
My favorite starts out with the undergravel filter. Lol. It was a gift from my x wife. Best thing she ever did. Im so old school that I still have to bite my tongue when they say nitrite is harmless in salt water. I understand the chemistry of it but it's just one more thing to add to a stressful environment. Arsenic isn't deadly in tiny amounts but...... Sorry. I get carried away. If you want a meaningful effective cycle then load your rank with good live rock and forget the bottled bacteria and window cleaner. Hope your day is good. The op is looking for the basics. He's getting conflicting info. He should test for nitrite. When it 0s test for nitrate

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr Tim's Ammonia and ATM Colony for my cycle. I added ammonia until diatoms appeared on day 24, then I changed the water before adding an expensive lump of live rock, tisbe pods, & CuC.

A bit slow but nothing died...

All sorts of things came out of the live rock to add to the diversity. My thoughts at the time was that using live rock to cycle would kill the creatures in the live rock...

Edit: I measured nitrates after day 2 when ammonia started dropping (Tropic Marin test kits.)

Last edited:

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr Tim's Ammonia and ATM Colony for my cycle. I added ammonia until diatoms appeared on day 24, then I changed the water before adding an expensive lump of live rock, tisbe pods, & CuC.

A bit slow but nothing died...

All sorts of things came out of the live rock to add to the diversity.

Edit: I measured nitrates after day 2 when ammonia started dropping (Tropic Marin test kits.)
Nitrate test isn't accurate if nitrite is present. Test for Nitrate when nitrite is 0. Love those hitchhikers and good live rock! Best of luck with your reef.

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate test isn't accurate if nitrite is present. Test for Nitrate when nitrite is 0. Love those hitchhikers and good live rock! Best of luck with your reef.
Yes, nitrite interfering with nitrate measurement was something I learned later on. Nitrite was undetectable by day 17 (except for blips after adding more ammonia.)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back