? about sump build

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in process of building my new sump and my question is, is there any reason that silicone wont stick to plastic and glass. my sump will be 2 plastic toats they are very heavy duty but i need to put in a few baffles and i want to be sure that silicone will work or if there is something better.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you making the baffles out of? Either way the plastic totes may bow from the weight of the water and the baffles may not hold well. I used acrylic baffles in a 30 gallon long and it is holding up well.

OP
OP
V

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not these bad boys they can hold 400lbs i have water in them right now and no bowing also i cut out most of the lid acting as a brace just encase. as far as the baffles i would use glass that i will get cut from lowes.

OP
OP
V

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2011.jpg
IMG_2014.jpg

OP
OP
V

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are 27 gallon each and i will plumb 2 of them together as long as i can find something that will work as far as attaching them i will try silicone tonight just to see not sure what my other options would be as far as some link of adhesive.

OP
OP
V

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took a measurement 3/16inch of bow with the lid on well whats left after i cut out most of the center just under 1/8 so im not worried about the bow. its just if silicone will stick to it.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look pretty dang rigid. I have silicone with my acrylic baffles and glass tank so it should work fine for you. My baffles have not budged. Use uniseals when you plumb them together. I used them on my 65 gallon plastic barrels for my RODI and salt mixing station. They don't leak at all and the sides have a curve to them. I got mine from here UNISEAL A.G.S.INC. Ohio--Worldwide Distributor and they are in Ohio and the cheapest I have seen them.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number to the left (PIPE ID) is the size of pvc pipe you will be using. Then on the bottom it shows you the exact size hole saw to use. I have a bunch of hole saws so let me know which one you need and you can just borrow it if you want. The hole you drill into the side of the container will be smaller than the uniseal. I then used vegetable oil to slide the uniseal into it. If you try to push it through without any lube the uniseal will get shredded and be useless.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicone will not work eventually. Silicone doesn't actually stick very well to acrylic. There's a reason why it isn't used to seam the acrylic tanks. I made a top down box out of acrylic panels and bonded it with silicon. It is watertight, and will deal somewhat, but if you look at it or put too much stress on the seams, it would totally fall apart. The silicone will work somewhat, but it won't bond very well to plastic or the acrylic.

OP
OP
V

vr697getta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well tomorrow i will put it to the test i will out in a peice of glass and have water on one side and hopefully no water on the other and in the water my quite one 5000 pushing all of its gph. if it doesn't work i do have a back up plan though

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last post sounded pretty retarded. :) Silicone bonded acrylic does not, in fact, fall apart just because you look at it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back