About to give up

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well great news! I stuck with it, new design and I got it legit whisper silent. Problem is, I turned it off to practice a power outage, now it has a slight gurgle again, any idea why!
Glad you stuck with it!

Take a look at the overflow and see what it is doing. Is there still just a small amount of flow going down the trickle drain?

The DC pump may not have started up at the exact same speed. There is some variation in the controllers so you may need to make adjustments every time you loose power.

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah could be alittle off. I'm gonna check in a few minutes and start it up slow just till it creates a siphon that use then all valve to adjust so it's a small trickle

OP
OP
sternicus

sternicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0d528f78c39c7351deabb9e5394fd3fe.jpg

When it was silent, this is what it looked like

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0d528f78c39c7351deabb9e5394fd3fe.jpg

When it was silent, this is what it looked like
Great picture! You weren't quite dialed in at that point. You want a small amount of water going down that center pipe. Not much, but you do want some. This is to help deal with small flow changes and provide stability. If you don't have some water going down that pipe then a slight reduction in flow can cause your siphon drain to start sucking air causing gurgling.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is one of the most important things to develop when you're reefing. Not only is some of this stuff hard to explain and figure out, but as soon as you get in a hurry or frustrated it's also harder to think and it's easy to make bad decisions.

If you can remember that you're never really in a hurry regarding your tank then you'll already be acting like you're 3/4 of an expert. :) Add your livestock slowly. Make any feeding changes slowly. Make lighting changes slowly. More slowly that you see most people doing these things.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2d9b87d55b685741513cfbd198aaca51.jpg

Got it, still got a trickling noise from the trickle pipe, any way to quiet that?
Putting a U on it like you had earlier helps with the trickling noise. Drilling some 1/4" to 1/2" holes right toward the top can help, too. Or, you can be lazy and wait for a biofilm to grow on it which will also help quiet it down. That should happen over the course of a week or two.

brian.brigg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bean animal setup can have problems when using 1 inch pipes. It isn't the full flow capacity but the way that the water acts when trickling. It can be set to be reasonably quiet with 1 inch but 1 1/2 inch pipes work better with small variations in flow. If you ever tear things down you can change the pipe size on the partial channel. The creator of the system used 1 inch bulkheads with 1 1/2 inch drains. I'd imagine that just having the larger size for the partial channel should be enough since if there is a problem with the system you would want the noise to alert you so you can take some action. My own system has the emergency channel above the sump water level for this reason.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC pump may not have started up at the exact same speed. There is some variation in the controllers so you may need to make adjustments every time you loose power.

Yep. Happens almost every time I shut down my RO varios2.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the same box in a few months ago and it runs dead silent. You've got 2 strikes against you without a valve on one of the pipes but the fact is that you shouldn't touch the valve after you've set the water levels in the box. I think I can help you sort it out so if you want the help, call me at 250-390-7419 ... Shaun
PS: I can tell you that the piping you've got in the box is wrong.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a picture, Shaun?
I put the same box in a few months ago and it runs dead silent. You've got 2 strikes against you without a valve on one of the pipes but the fact is that you shouldn't touch the valve after you've set the water levels in the box. I think I can help you sort it out so if you want the help, call me at 250-390-7419 ... Shaun
PS: I can tell you that the piping you've got in the box is wrong.
iw

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back