About to go 76 fallow . Have questions

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I think it’s finally time to take the plunge and put my tank in a fallow period. At this point in time I only have two clown fish in my tank. I believe one of these clowns has ich and has had it for probably close to two years. There are little white dots on one of the fish and they come and go and it finally is time to handle it before I go and add new fish to the tank.
So like I said the only stuff in my tank is two clowns for fish, but I do have a mixture of corals inverts and snails. I believe ich doesn’t require removal of the others just the fish

I am at the moment where I have no clue what to do first. Can I just remove the fish and the 76 day period will start? What would be the recommendation for starting a qt/hospital tank? I feel this will be the best time to do so and then I can second it as a qt tank for future additions.

Can I mix up some next salt water and add it to a new 10 gallon tank or something to make that the qt tank and start with the medicine and whatnot there?
Can I use tank water from a water change to start the water considering I’ll be doing medicine and whatnot in it anyways?

My only concern is about doing the qt in the same room. I don’t really have anywhere else I can do this and my room would be ideal for it. I understand there’s a risk of airborne transfer under 10 feet away. How large is this risk?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the QT tank is ready, once the fish are removed that's when fallow starts.

Here a good read on QT :

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-quarantine.232/
Thanks for this, would being fallow also fix any other problems that I may have in the tank that I am unaware of? I mean I believe all I have is ich but curious if say it was something more serious if just being fallow would fix other problems as well

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk is 50/50. So long as you don't have heavy airflow in the room blowing from the dirty tank to the clean tank and you can keep them as far apart as possible.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this, would being fallow also fix any other problems that I may have in the tank that I am unaware of? I mean I believe all I have is ich but curious if say it was something more serious if just being fallow would fix other problems as well

You would have to be aware of other issues with parasites and be certain.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The risk is 50/50. So long as you don't have heavy airflow in the room blowing from the dirty tank to the clean tank and you can keep them as far apart as possible.
Can I go about doing this but like seperating the tanks from one another by a door? Like a closet door? Where no air is flowing at all ideally?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closet door would probably help - but the extra humidity from a heated tank isn't likely to do good things inside your closet.

~Bruce
Thanks Bruce,
The closet is more of like 2 sliding doors rather than a traditional door closed closet. I just guess it’s that or try to physically put it exactly about 10 feet away hoping for the best luck.

I am considering bringing the two fish to someone I know whom will take care of them and nurse them back to health whilst I go fallow.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 61 47.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back