About to Quit

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a brand new Hanna checker. I hadn’t even gone above 2.0 when the fish died.
OK. I also read your separate thread on the dead QT fish. Sounds like they had a disease and were too far gone for your copper treatment to matter. In any case, that sucks and I'm sorry. I hate losing fish.
Let's see what the ICP testing shows. Maybe one of your pieces of DT equipment is leaching something into the water.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have a little cheap Coralife light in my DT and two AI Prime 16HD's in my display. I turned them down to 15% when I added the corals and put them on acclimation for 30 days to try and keep them from burning.
That may not be enough light. They may be starving. If the sun corals thrived, I’d look at the lighting.

I’m still reading through here but Xenia? GSP? Do they grow.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may not be enough light. They may be starving. If the sun corals thrived, I’d look at the lighting.

One of the first comments being the sun coral open all the time .

and why I assumed the difference being the lighting .

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lights being that harsh that it pretty much sterilized the tank. Op probably created global warming in her tank
the big lebowski drinking GIF

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I also read your separate thread on the dead QT fish. Sounds like they had a disease and were too far gone for your copper treatment to matter. In any case, that sucks and I'm sorry. I hate losing fish.
Let's see what the ICP testing shows. Maybe one of your pieces of DT equipment is leaching something into the water.
I really think it’s aluminum from my MarinePure Cubes. They are swollen and mushy, nothing like the MarinePure Gems I have which are still the same shape and hardness as they were originally.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lights being that harsh that it pretty much sterilized the tank. Op probably created global warming in her tank
the big lebowski drinking GIF
No, I don’t think this is the case. My photosynthetic corals also began to die even while in the sand bed of the tank with the lights at 20%. I run the Saxby program, 2 AI Prim 16HD Reefs. Nothing amazingly fancy or ridiculously high in par. I am more interested in LPS and NPS, so I don’t run any super high intensity lighting programs. Just a typical 12-hour photo-period, 10AM-10-PM.

My NPS also closed up and began to die in this tank even though they were all placed in caves and under overhangs, so I think that indicates a water quality/contaminant issue.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep seeing this thread come up....and assuming somebody is no longer quiting, so I guess that is very good....
No, I am still hanging on. But I would change the title to ‘About to Quit, But Still Hanging On’ if I could, in your honor ;)

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!!!

I just received an e-mail from ATI saying my test has been received and I will have my rsults in up to 2 days!! Yayyyyyyy!

Fingers crossed for some potential answers!!

If I can fix whatever this is, I will be ordering some Grunge Plus from Garf to try and boost the biodiversity in my display. I’m itching to get a move on!

Anyway, I will post the results as soon as I have them.

Thank you all again for following along!!

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed your pictures of your DT and the lights looked like they we set on all white and no blues. Did you change the light spectrum for the photos? I also run the saxby settings and its not that white. Your Qt tank with the coralife light seemed to be pretty blue. Sorry if this has already been brought to your attention.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you pulled them from the system?
No, not yet. I have heard mixed opinions and experiences on whether or not they actually do leach aluminum, so I want to leave them in there until I get the test results. That way, the water chemistry will still have remained constant and I can take the necessary measures to correct it according to the results….if that makes any sense.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed your pictures of your DT and the lights looked like they we set on all white and no blues. Did you change the light spectrum for the photos? I also run the saxby settings and its not that white. Your Qt tank with the coralife light seemed to be pretty blue. Sorry if this has already been brought to your attention.
Yeah, I turn the lights to white any time I take photos. The reason why the Coralife light looks more blue is because the white setting basically just turns on the whites with the blues instead of turning the blues off and the whites on.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not yet. I have heard mixed opinions and experiences on whether or not they actually do leach aluminum, so I want to leave them in there until I get the test results. That way, the water chemistry will still have remained constant and I can take the necessary measures to correct it according to the results….if that makes any sense.
Makes sense. Looking forward to the results!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. I’m more intrigued so I can learn from your bad experiences. So I don’t make the same mistake. I’m sorry if it sounds shallow.
No, I’m glad you’re going to take something positive out of all of this. That’s the whole reason I’ve kept this thread active!

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!!!

I just received an e-mail from ATI saying my test has been received and I will have my rsults in up to 2 days!! Yayyyyyyy!

Fingers crossed for some potential answers!!

If I can fix whatever this is, I will be ordering some Grunge Plus from Garf to try and boost the biodiversity in my display. I’m itching to get a move on!

Anyway, I will post the results as soon as I have them.

Thank you all again for following along!!

Hopefully you get something helpful from your test results. Keep watching your email because I got my notice from ATI that the sample was received just after midnight on Tues and had a notice that my results were ready 5 hours later!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back