Abyzz on a Basement Sump

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to hear experiences with the abyzz pump against significant head pressure. I’ve seen claims that it does really well against pressure but far fewer actual experiences. If you are using an abyzz in a basement sump could you say which model, approximate head pressure and how much flow is affected.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an A400 in the basement, pushes 1200gph upstairs one floor. I do not recall my head pressure now, but i will go find it. Pump runs at 70%.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my initial planning figures, I was working with 16ft of head. That's calculated, factoring in pipe length, diameter, vertical rise, elbows, reducers, valves, etc. I am thinking that the actual head is probably less than that planning figure, I recall calculating it assuming 1-1/4 pipe but I upsized it to 1-1/2 just to be safe.

So, 16ft of head, 1200 gph, 70% power. The pump curve says at 100% power (I assume), I should get better than 2X the flow that I get at that head. I don't understand how to account for the 70% power factor using the curve, could it be as simple as taking 70% of the curve's value? If so, I am still not seeing anywhere near the advertised performance.

All that said, this pump has been perfect for me, running non stop (well, power failures hit every now and then) for 2+ years, no issues (except the LCD is fading, have to up the contrast to read it now).

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that’s very helpful.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centrifugal pump's discharge head is directly proportional to the square of the pump speed. At a setting of 70% the head capacity should be less than half of full speed. I suspect the Abyzz pump curve is probably somewhat accurate at full speed/power setting. It would look really bad compared to the rated curve at anything but full power.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centrifugal pump's discharge head is directly proportional to the square of the pump speed. At a setting of 70% the head capacity should be less than half of full speed.
Based on what I have running, and the pump curve, everything I see makes sense then. Thanks for that.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for any more hand on experience with the A400 - particularly folks pushing against head pressure. Also, are folks using it internally or externally? I'm toying with replacing a PanWorld 250 - 14' of TDH and 1 1/2" return pipe.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve had the A400IPU for a few months now. I run it internally in a basement sump. It supplies my 245 DT upstairs and my 90 gal frag tank in the basement. It’s running at 70% and dead silent. It starts with 1 1/2 and supplies five..yes five 3/4 return lines..lol. This pic might help. I went from a external reeflow. I couldn’t be happier.
4F6EF051-DDF5-45EF-9052-F997AD960696.jpeg

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks! Would you judge the IPU upgrade to be worthwhile? See you are running the TMC 110 UV, as am I.
You’re welcome. As mush as I was spending... I figured what’s another $300 for the newest model and water resistant controller... Even my wife agreed and I know she didn’t want to...lol.

I like the TMC. I was running a emperor aquatics 40 watt for years on a 125. I replaced the power pack , seals and quarts sleeve. When they failed. But I just felt it wasn’t doing anything on my current system a 245 DT, 75 sump and a 90 frag all plumed together. The price on even bigger units from EA was hard to justify against the TMC that seems to handle more water for less money. And possibly even better. What do you think?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from a pondmaster to the TMC because the ballast on the former would blow if you looked at it wrong …… then, of course, the ballast blew on the TMC. That was two years ago and it's been good ever since.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be plumbing my sump from first floor to the basement. I built a stand for my trigger systems cr44 sump. The return pump I have right now is a dc sunpole red pump 9000 I think it is. It says it has 18' of head pressure. I will be putting that to the test. (Dear lord I hope it works... Don't have the money to buy a new return pump...) Will be drilling into the living room floor today...

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Will be plumbing my sump from first floor to the basement. I built a stand for my trigger systems cr44 sump. The return pump I have right now is a dc sunpole red pump 9000 I think it is. It says it has 18' of head pressure. I will be putting that to the test. (Dear lord I hope it works... Don't have the money to buy a new return pump...) Will be drilling into the living room floor today...
I cut out a hole in my hardwood floors the same size as a heat vent. I also have extra flooring. But if I ever sell I can just put the vent cover in the opening. Good luck !

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut out a hole in my hardwood floors the same size a heat vent. I also have extra flooring. But if I ever sell I can just put the vent cover in the opening. Good luck !
That was my thought, I'd put a cold air return vent in there when I go to move... Nobody would know the difference... lol

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got both of the holes drilled, from the floor to where the return pump goes in the new sump is plumbed... Ran into a snag on my drain line, so I'm gonna have to go get some more fittings...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%
Back