Acan Acclimation Delay

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am considering my first online coral order to purchase a really nice looking rainbow acan. The vendor offers FedEx Overnight shipping. Unfortunately, I will be at work when the coral arrives in the morning. My plan is to ask my wife, not an aquarium person, to open the box and float the acan in the shipping bag until I get home from work. I will then do a proper dip and acclimation process when I come home from work around 6pm.

Will the delay adversely affect the health of the acan? Any other suggestions?

I would really like to purchase this coral, but I do not want to doom the poor animal due to my busy schedule.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep It sealed in box until you get home. You dip your coral or just toss it in? Usually they have a cold or hot pack inside the styrofoam box.

OP
OP
tanked4u

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float to acclimate temp and then dip in CoralRx and Bayer.

I thought the temp would be an issue, but I could just let the box sit until I get home. Thanks.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most important thing once it gets home is the temperature imo. I would say your wife floating it would be fine until you get home. Not sure what your temp is like in your area. But right now where I am its pretty cold!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FedEx overnight around here shows up around 11:30 every time. If you’re not missing for 12 hrs or so I don’t see why keeping it in the box for a few hours would hurt.

OP
OP
tanked4u

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty cold here, approximately 32 degrees Fahrenheit during the day.

Presumably, it would be either be in the delivery truck or sitting in my house for the day.

My wife would be here to accept delivery of the box.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or have her float it in the sump u til you get home. I’ve had a box sitting at the LA airport which they were going to hold there overnight due to a late plane. FedEx actually drove down there retrieved the box and drove it to me . I had it in hand at 6 pm which was 6 hrs. later than expected. Temp was ok. Also depends on where you live and weather of course.

ReefingDaily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely float it as you don’t know how long the heat pack will last. Either way you’ll probably be fine tbh.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty cold here, approximately 32 degrees Fahrenheit during the day.

Presumably, it would be either be in the delivery truck or sitting in my house for the day.

My wife would be here to accept delivery of the box.
That’s cold. Probably better off floating in the sump.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all above, but want to add that the bag not be opened by your wife ... just floating in the sump after a quick dusting of the outside.
Best if you're the one to open it when you get home.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good
I float to acclimate temp and then dip in CoralRx and Bayer.

I thought the temp would be an issue, but I could just let the box sit until I get home. Thanks.
I also used to use Bayer, Revive, coral RX etc. I’ve had good luck using UWC Expel, more herbally smelling and made for this hobby. I’m also a gardener who uses Bayer outside. You may like the results.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back