Acan algae or Acan behavior?

reef_of_the_desert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I Purchased an Acan frag and put it in my tank yesterday. Last night it had a ring of color on the sand under it and then woke up to what looked like hair algae growing from the sand bed around it. Is this common of an Acan or did it being in some algae with it? Any help would be appreciated as I start building things up.

21B15294-69B0-4695-9A0B-F9F868DA3529.jpeg

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Interesting. How new is the tank and been set up?
I agree id prob just suck that up with a turkey baster and blast it in my skimmer or filter sock or something.
Usually corals have a slime deturent or mucus and not a lot of the nastiest will grow around them. Kinda a natural defense. Interesting. This is my opinion though and I'd need to research more.proof on the matter
D

OP
OP
R

reef_of_the_desert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Interesting. How new is the tank and been set up?
I agree id prob just suck that up with a turkey baster and blast it in my skimmer or filter sock or something.
Usually corals have a slime deturent or mucus and not a lot of the nastiest will grow around them. Kinda a natural defense. Interesting. This is my opinion though and I'd need to research more.proof on the matter
D
Newly cycled, this is a test coral. No other algae in the aquarium besides what grew over night. It was super weird. I did scoop it out and dipped the frag. We will see if it comes back. Just crazy how it propagated over the sand bed over night

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back