Acan colony dying

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers!

A few days ago I saw this white sort of mold on my acan. I first blew the mold away, then gave the coral an iodine dip. I used Seachem reef dip 10ml per gallon for 10 minutes. It was yesterday, today it seems to be getting worse. Anything else I can do? Freshwater dip? Higher concentration iodine?
Everything else is doing well in the tank...
IMG_20190325_214547.jpeg

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers!

A few days ago I saw this white sort of mold on my acan. I first blew the mold away, then gave the coral an iodine dip. I used Seachem reef dip 10ml per gallon for 10 minutes. It was yesterday, today it seems to be getting worse. Anything else I can do? Freshwater dip? Higher concentration iodine?
IMG_20190325_214547.jpeg
Yeah, this front side was all covered with new heads, now all of them are dead.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are closest to that side of the colony? Any fish in there that might pick at it (Foxface comes to mind)? Crabs like Emeralds?

Reefium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers!

IMG_20190325_214547.jpeg
I'd definitely stop with the dips. Stressing it isn't going to make it open. Make sure it placed in a mid flow and higher light. Your scan is brown and looks like it could use more light. Give it some reef roids with current off and see if you get a reaction. Target feed reef roids gently.

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely stop with the dips. Stressing it isn't going to make it open. Make sure it placed in a mid flow and higher light. Your scan is brown and looks like it could use more light. Give it some reef roids with current off and see if you get a reaction. Target feed reef roids gently.
Wait, do you see the mold? It's progressing.
IMG_20190325_214547.jpeg

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are closest to that side of the colony? Any fish in there that might pick at it (Foxface comes to mind)? Crabs like Emeralds?
There was a hammerhead sitting next to the acan. I moved the acan away, but this white slime still keeps progressing.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably got stung and not it is infected with brown jelly... Dip it ASAP!!!!! If you don't have any coral dip perixide works really well. Put perixide in a 1 part peroxide 3 part tank water and dip it into the solution. While in the container blow off the gunk and make sure you remove it from the coral. Let it sit for 30 seconds and put it back in the tank. Repeat as nessasary

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks bacterial to me. Not sure what caused it but the colony does not look well. My recommendation would be an iodine based dip at this point and nothing harsh.
This is my opinion but iodine has never really stopped a infection on any of my corals. Ive had better luck with watered down peroxide

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not discrediting your opinion my friend, that colony just doesn't look like it can handle to much stress at this point.
For sure!! I've just had such great results with perodxide that that's what I would recommend! It's more aggressive but doesn't kill Lps corals (wouldn't recommend with sps) and it seems to work for me every time where iodine has been a real hit and miss
Also I love different opinions

DharkaronReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my experience, I had 3 acan mini colonies I got from a friend which looked like your picture. I dipped Coral Rx dip prior to entering my Main tank. Ever since then, all acans have been growing additional heads.

Also make sure no fishes or critters are picking at it.
34b994b0acb20d6a79c2248f5ee47e30.jpg
17d4fa1b790557b35afb53f94c92480a.jpg

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for responses!

This morning I gave it another dip in iodine in higher concentration. I don't know how to precisely measure it, but the solution looked somewhat like Coke. I'm at work now, will update tonight.

Reefium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a hammerhead sitting next to the acan. I moved the acan away, but this white slime still keeps progressing.

Could be cells dying from stress or a number of things. Mold is unlikely to grow in saltwater. If its bacteria, each time you dip you are killing bad, Good and necessary bacteria as well. Then exposing specimen back to tank where bacteria could be present would just deplete coral health.

Iodine is highly toxin to everything. Iodine is technically a pollutant. Some animals need it in very light amounts. Too much would pose negative results. Iodine mixed with saltwater would impose less stress on the coral yet still toxic. Give it time to recover, or frag off the bad side.

What's your setup?
Do you have a uv sterilizer?

OP
OP
pomoev

pomoev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be cells dying from stress or a number of things. Mold is unlikely to grow in saltwater.
I'm not sure if it's mold, fungus or bacteria, but this is something that grows really fast. 3 days ago when I noticed it, only one polyp was affected, and I thought it might by simply stung by the hammerhead.
But the next day a few new polyps got covered with this white stuff and now it's almost 1/3 of the colony. I'm afraid 2-3 more days and the coral is going to be dead.

If its bacteria, each time you dip you are killing bad, Good and necessary bacteria as well. Then exposing specimen back to tank where bacteria could be present would just deplete coral health.
Isn't it how pretty much every medicine works? :)

Iodine is highly toxin to everything. Iodine is technically a pollutant. Some animals need it in very light amounts. Too much would pose negative results. Iodine mixed with saltwater would impose less stress on the coral yet still toxic. Give it time to recover, or frag off the bad side.
Fragging sounds like a reasonable idea if no medication works, but I have never fragged an LPS. I only have a dremel rotary tool with a diamond wheel, i'm afraid it's too tough.

What's your setup?
Do you have a uv sterilizer?
No sterilizer.
I added a couple photos of my setup. A month ago I added a skimmer to the system and raised the light a little higher over the tank.
aquarium setup.jpeg aquarium_setup.jpg
And a photo of the acan as of month ago.
acan_month_ago.jpeg

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it's mold, fungus or bacteria, but this is something that grows really fast. 3 days ago when I noticed it, only one polyp was affected, and I thought it might by simply stung by the hammerhead.
But the next day a few new polyps got covered with this white stuff and now it's almost 1/3 of the colony. I'm afraid 2-3 more days and the coral is going to be dead.

Isn't it how pretty much every medicine works? :)

Fragging sounds like a reasonable idea if no medication works, but I have never fragged an LPS. I only have a dremel rotary tool with a diamond wheel, i'm afraid it's too tough.

No sterilizer.
I added a couple photos of my setup. A month ago I added a skimmer to the system and raised the light a little higher over the tank.
aquarium setup.jpeg aquarium_setup.jpg
And a photo of the acan as of month ago.
acan_month_ago.jpeg

If iodine didn't work for you I would honestly give peroxide a shot. I've experienced brown jelly on a number if lps corals because as things have grown they are now stinging each other. Every once in a while brown jelly has sets in and things have needed to be dipped to save them. Coral Rx has worked for me, and peroxide. I've used iodine to dip corals especially right after I've fragged them but it hasn't been agresagre enough for me in the past to kill a full blown brown jelly infection. Corals naturally possess an enzyme that nutrualizes peroxide and if used in safe amounts corals are usually not effected. You need to kill the infection before it kills the coral. The infected tissue will die but if you can stop it the rest of the coral will survive.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back