Acan Hydrogen Peroxide Dip?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an Acan on Wednesday, drip acclimated and used KoralMD, on it tossed the water. Then placed the Acan in my Aquarium. Now I’m seeing Bubble Algae on it. I’m going to pick it off, outside the Aquarium, then I want to dip it in Hydrogen Peroxide. Is this safe for Acans? Right now it is isolated in a Specimen Container and not happy.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no don't do it that way

take out the specimen like its a big tooth, the flesh is the gumline

using metal, not a brush, a knife or an actual dentist's rasp, be the dentist: you carefully scrape pick and debride off all the attachments you dont want from the skeleton, damaging the skeleton just a little to hit the anchor cells.

once it's fully clean, then you paint on peroxide only on the skeletal part (the tooth) and let it sit several minutes then put back in the tank. expect to repeat a few times, peroxide should never touch the polyp/no algae grows there.

this action is reef dentistry and will work completely in 1-3 passes depending on cross contamination of algae fragments from other areas in the tank.

if you do it the planned way it just stresses the polyp and grows back over and over. truly debriding it off the anchor points is the right way.

spectreknight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done it the way Brandon posted. It works well and definitely stresses the coral a lot less. It does take multiple tries to get it all, but worth it in my opinion.

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to go out and didn’t want to leave it in the Specimen Container. I Picked off Bubble Algae. Dipped it in 75ml 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to 2.5 Liters of Saltwater for Six Minutes. Returned it to the Aquarium. Looks good today. I’m soaking some ReefRoids, for a Day and a Night Feeding. Also got some Baby Brine Started. BTW Whenever I dip a Coral in this method, my Blue Legs swarm the Coral, I never see damage from this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back