Acan not opening

Pippz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi huys . I recently purchase acans from a trusted vendor and its been the same all the time. Not opening higely like i see on pics. It staryed at lower in thw tank and ia now on top . On the top ive seen the most effect so far. Running phosgaurd and carbon in a reactor and dosing nopox. Salinity is 1.026. Po4 0.0 according to test , only reading 0.0 , 0.1 , 0.2 etc. But stil glass is getting dirty everyday. Was fine at one moment but then started again. Alk is around 9. Temp between 24.7 to 26 . Ph also 8.2. Any advise or help

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop running phosguard immediately. Nopox also doesn’t work when there is zero phosphate, so stop that too. I’m not sure what lights you have but acans don’t like a ton of light, high up is not usually advisable.

OP
OP
P

Pippz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop running phosguard immediately. Nopox also doesn’t work when there is zero phosphate, so stop that too. I’m not sure what lights you have but acans don’t like a ton of light, high up is not usually advisable.
But it didnt open on the bottom aswell. Some1 said to put them higher becuase they did it and it popped nicely. And like i said i have batches of gha , ver small thou. Had a hufe outbreak at one point but doing alot better now. That why im running nopox and phosgaurd.

Screenshot_20200220-070649_WhatsApp.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it didnt open on the bottom aswell. Some1 said to put them higher becuase they did it and it popped nicely. And like i said i have batches of gha , ver small thou. Had a hufe outbreak at one point but doing alot better now. That why im running nopox and phosgaurd.

Screenshot_20200220-070649_WhatsApp.jpg
It’s not opening because it’s starving, because your phosphate is zero and you are continuing to carbon dose.

OP
OP
P

Pippz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not opening because it’s starving, because your phosphate is zero and you are continuing to carbon dose.
But i stil have pacthes of gha popping up. Wich my cuc takes care of. And glass gets dirty faster over the past few days. Can my po4 really be that low ?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But i stil have pacthes of gha popping up. Wich my cuc takes care of. And glass gets dirty faster over the past few days. Can my po4 really be that low ?
Yeah, phyto and gha don’t need much, they just need some, and they are consuming all there is and starving your acan. Best to increase PO4 so your coral doesn’t die and let the gha get eaten by your cuc. Phyto on the glass is a good thing, it will be eaten by pods which make more pods which feed your coral and fish naturally. Be happy about green glass.

OP
OP
P

Pippz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your calcium and mag ?
And nitrate
Have frogspawn , hammer , zoas , gsp ,hydnopora and pico and they al are doing extremly well. Fylly extended , growing 5 new head on hammer , and can see the white pointy growths on hydno , just the acans. Ever sinse i got them , even the guy i got them from it wasnt more opened than now . They do eat thou when i feed them

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have frogspawn , hammer , zoas , gsp ,hydnopora and pico and they al are doing extremly well. Fylly extended , growing 5 new head on hammer , and can see the white pointy growths on hydno , just the acans. Ever sinse i got them , even the guy i got them from it wasnt more opened than now . They do eat thou when i feed them
What are you feeding them?
mag is very important to acans, as well as calcium of course. You gotta get those test kits if you want stony corals. Nitrate is a vital test too, you are dosing nopox. It’s a nitrate reducer. Stop Nopox and phosguard, get test kits or have your water tested, give it time, feed mysis once it’s starting to look happy.

OP
OP
P

Pippz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding them?
mag is very important to acans, as well as calcium of course. You gotta get those test kits if you want stony corals. Nitrate is a vital test too, you are dosing nopox. It’s a nitrate reducer. Stop Nopox and phosguard, get test kits or have your water tested, give it time, feed mysis once it’s starting to look happy.
Atm i am feeding them mysis , they eet it aswell. Then i feed brine shrimp in my tank aswell and sometimes food pellets.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your acan is receding, it’s not just closed. That means it’s dying. It can still come back but your water parameters need to be at good levels AND stable.

OP
OP
P

Pippz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your acan is receding, it’s not just closed. That means it’s dying. It can still come back but your water parameters need to be at good levels AND stable.
How can you tell ?

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can see skeleton on the edge in the picture.

How old is tank? it could be any of the other levels off. Acans have always been picky for me but when all is right they are easy. I found them to not like low magnesium (not high but natural mag levels) and that's if calc and Alk are good. that could be it.
I also found my iodine levels where off and started dosing very small amounts in my ATO water which helped but this is not something to do without testing.
Finally, yes acans usually like lower light but I for year could not keep them until I found out I was not running my lights long enough or strong enough. When I got my LEDs up to around 70% and stayed around 70% for at least 6 hours they stayed puffed up and growing ever since. So you mentioned they opened up when yo moved them up. What are you running for lights and how long/strong? Maybe you just need to adjust your lighting.

OP
OP
P

Pippz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can see skeleton on the edge in the picture.

How old is tank? it could be any of the other levels off. Acans have always been picky for me but when all is right they are easy. I found them to not like low magnesium (not high but natural mag levels) and that's if calc and Alk are good. that could be it.
I also found my iodine levels where off and started dosing very small amounts in my ATO water which helped but this is not something to do without testing.
Finally, yes acans usually like lower light but I for year could not keep them until I found out I was not running my lights long enough or strong enough. When I got my LEDs up to around 70% and stayed around 70% for at least 6 hours they stayed puffed up and growing ever since. So you mentioned they opened up when yo moved them up. What are you running for lights and how long/strong? Maybe you just need to adjust your lighting.
Wel its morning now and my lights arent on yet and its more open than ever. And i did place them in an area with more flow.

20200221_093122.jpg

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try leaving them there and see how they do but they are not happy. Showing skeleton. They go down hill fast but take awhile to recover. Would try to spot feed once or twice a week to help recover.

OP
OP
P

Pippz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans not getting any better and seems the skeleton is turning brownish. One of the mounths where open last night but no feeding teticles. Wondering what i should do.

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I definetly agree acans like lower light. I have under powed lights and I keep my acan on the sand and its doing great down there

OP
OP
P

Pippz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I definetly agree acans like lower light. I have under powed lights and I keep my acan on the sand and its doing great down there
It is on the sand atm

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding them? If so what?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%

Back