AcanLord's 500 Gallon Grow Out Peninsula Build....

OP
OP
AcanLord.com

AcanLord.com

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a rough example of the tank stand we are building. This is the living room side. Due to the space available, would like to add bookshelves to one side. The other side will be 4 doors with access to the underside. We have also decided to go with black walnut!
. tank stand shelf.jpg

OP
OP
AcanLord.com

AcanLord.com

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference in cost from buying to getting one built?
The issue with just buying one is, that I don't think you will find a prefab 500 gallon, let alone in glass. At least, I haven't seen anything. The only reason this company can do glass in these water volumes is because they have a patented aluminum edge which gives it great strength.

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with just buying one is, that I don't think you will find a prefab 500 gallon, let alone in glass. At least, I haven't seen anything. The only reason this company can do glass in these water volumes is because they have a patented aluminum edge which gives it great strength.
That's always good to have extra strength on the edges. Can't wait to see your tank progress.

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is going to be EPIC Stephen! You better host a local party for when its finally complete.

Good choice on the black walnut. Jason Langer did a black walnut stand for me, the color and richness of the wood can't be matched.

OP
OP
AcanLord.com

AcanLord.com

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is going to be EPIC Stephen! You better host a local party for when its finally complete.

Good choice on the black walnut. Jason Langer did a black walnut stand for me, the color and richness of the wood can't be matched.

Yes! There will certainly be a party! Jason does very nice work and is a great guy! Would love to see you're tank and stand.

OP
OP
AcanLord.com

AcanLord.com

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next bit of planning comes down to how I will support the floor for 5000 lbs. currently, I'm running I beams for support. They presently hold 44lbs per square foot, and I need to beat 206lbs per square foot.

The issue is that the space underneath needs to be open as that space is allocated for something else. The plumbing is planned to be run to the room 6 feet to the right. Needless to say I will need a pump with great head pressure to return the water back to the display.

Here is a picture of the floor, I beams, and footprint. My idea for support is to fill the center gap of the i beam with 3/4 plywood, and then sister those with 2x12's on either side and run throws from the foundation to the joist. The length would be 12' and the tank would span 6' into that length.

Any input here would be much appreciated.

IMG_9413.JPG

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Stephen, for alerting me to the fact you started this build thread.
This is going to be one epic build!

I really like the design of the stand and that you chose the black walnut. One recommendation is that if you like the natural appearance of the wood's grain and color is to still use a natural stain on the wood prior to sealing and finishing the stand. The stain will penetrate the wood and help fill in the pores of the wood. Then the stand gets sealed, that first layer will be more even and create a stronger coat.
If you want to even out the color of the wood, a "walnut" colored stain will darken up the lighter areas while not really darkening the darker wood. I've done this plenty of times with very nice results.

Good luck with the rest of this build! Cannot wait to see it!

OP
OP
AcanLord.com

AcanLord.com

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Stephen, for alerting me to the fact you started this build thread.
This is going to be one epic build!

I really like the design of the stand and that you chose the black walnut. One recommendation is that if you like the natural appearance of the wood's grain and color is to still use a natural stain on the wood prior to sealing and finishing the stand. The stain will penetrate the wood and help fill in the pores of the wood. Then the stand gets sealed, that first layer will be more even and create a stronger coat.
If you want to even out the color of the wood, a "walnut" colored stain will darken up the lighter areas while not really darkening the darker wood. I've done this plenty of times with very nice results.

Good luck with the rest of this build! Cannot wait to see it!

Thanks for the advice Jason! Will definitely follow your lead. You've done some amazing things with tanks stands and you certainly know the details...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We've got a few folks on the #reefsquad who could possibly help with the reinforcement question. This is coming along nicely!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your looking for is a Manufacturered laminated wood beam. Info link. Some of the beams use to sheets of 1" ply with a steal plate between the ply. Very strong

OP
OP
AcanLord.com

AcanLord.com

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks #mdbannister I have the tank showing up in a couple hours. I'll take a couple pics. I've had a heck of a time trying to find someone to help me with the structural support part of this opporation. Any advice would be great. I don't even want to bring the tank in the house until I figure this out as it is 700lbs of glass. If I were throwing up a couple supports, it wouldn't be an issue, but trying to keep the space open before as it is allocated for other uses, making this more complicated ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome build man!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks #mdbannister I have the tank showing up in a couple hours. I'll take a couple pics. I've had a heck of a time trying to find someone to help me with the structural support part of this opporation. Any advice would be great. I don't even want to bring the tank in the house until I figure this out as it is 700lbs of glass. If I were throwing up a couple supports, it wouldn't be an issue, but trying to keep the space open before as it is allocated for other uses, making this more complicated ;)
May I suggest calling a structural engineer. The engineer can suggest the type of bracing and where to get it. This would also be good idea to have the engineer in for insurance reasons;). If there were a failure, or something else this would give the insurance company a reason not to payout. If you can find an engineer that is a reefer, that is a plus. Do a trade for services.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AcanLord.com

AcanLord.com

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I suggest calling a structural engineer. The engineer can suggest the type of bracing and where to get it. This would also be good idea to have the engineer in for insurance reasons;). If there were a failure, or something else this would give the insurance company a reason not to payout. If you can find an engineer that is a reefer, that is a plus. Do a trade for services.

This is a great idea. I appreciate your feedback. I certainly could and may go the less difficult route and build a room under the tank, giving myself all kinds of options. Especially considering I would like to run the sump and brains all in the basement anyway. This is a great opportunity to learn from an export and build our knowledge base which is half of the fun. Thanks again

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea. I appreciate your feedback. I certainly could and may go the less difficult route and build a room under the tank, giving myself all kinds of options. Especially considering I would like to run the sump and brains all in the basement anyway. This is a great opportunity to learn from an export and build our knowledge base which is half of the fun. Thanks again
Your welcome. We all look at the prize and not how we got there most of the time. I will be great see the bad boy up and running.

Garrett W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a rough draft we sent in. This is what we do for all of our builds. Granted, the stand will look nothing like this. Thinking either cherry or black wallnut for wood. Need some help deciding...

Acanlord's Tank.jpg
I went with the stain color Bombay Mahogany and it turned out really well. Nice dark red tint to it and with the high gloss it really shines.

IMAG0420.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back