OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh yeah, LPS is definitely on the menu for the butterfly’s, and no clams ever (sad), and they will likely nip at SPS polyps (goodbye PE)… but… I’m more in the hobby for my love of fish… so I’ve made peace with all of the downsides.

Most of the LPS I still keep, have withstood tanks with butterflys before.. so fingers crossed they do fine. SPS usually continues to grow just fine and can withstand a few nips here and there.

The big Torch I have, I’ve had since 2012, and for whatever reason, none of the angels or butterfly’s have ever touched it.. I’m ready to move it to the Frag tank if the new additions go for it though.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The new additions transferred in with minimal fuss, I’m actually surprised that their wasn’t too much chasing… the only chasing came from a little yellow damsel.. (why did I add 3 yellow damsels 5 years ago!!!????).

But all in all, they did fine.

IMG_6995.jpeg

IMG_6997.jpeg

CD3BD851-BB5B-480A-97C2-6A7082044FD7.jpeg

The torch I mentioned earlier.
2EA444B9-8DE8-4E2A-846A-506A3F4DBDA8.jpeg

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Couple of SPS frags in the Frag tank.

New favorite: Marvin the Martian! Never seen PE in an SPS like this, it’s a massively underrated piece.

@sfg sent me a pack of fire! Go check out his listings, some amazing corals!

IMG_7064.jpeg

IMG_7065.jpeg

Couple of corals growing well in the display.
870852A9-A9C3-4E90-B6CD-60C96E2E719C.jpeg

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this has been in the planning envisioning stages for about 10 years now, but it should soon be a reality… I hope

I started with a Biocube 29 in 2011, then moved up to a 180 gallon in 2013, moved to Colorado in 2017 and did a slight bump to a 220 gallon tank.

Recent 220G FTS: IMG_5214.jpeg

I’m mostly focused on SPS and also like to take risks with non traditional reef safe fish, angels, butterflies, puffers.

Anyway, this new build will be a 120”x45”x29” Peninsula build.

Here’s a rough 3D rendering I made up to give an idea of what I’m shooting for.

IMG_5047.png

The first major obstacle I’ve had to overcome is that this is going to be placed in a finished basement, and there was absolutely no way to fit a 10’ tank, and a 10’ stand down the basement stairs .

IMG_3890.jpeg IMG_4357.jpeg
It will be positioned so it sticks out lengthways from the backwall into the room like below (before the basement was finished).
IMG_3379.jpeg

For the stand, it made sense to go with extruded aluminum, it would be easy to move into the basement and assemble on site. I used Controlled Dynamics to build my stand. Russ over there was amazing to work with and highly recommend him and the company/product if you are looking for a top quality stand.

IMG_5078.jpeg

The next problem was how to get the tank down into the basement. I got quotes to build on site and it was about 3X the cost… so I wanted to avoid this. So.. I had an idea. Replace the window and window well in the basement with a French casement window and a terraced window well… managed to sell this idea to the wife, and we actually love the new look.. and it also now allows a 10’ fish tank to slide through the basement window (mathematically speaking).

Finished look.
IMG_4704.jpeg

I did some math, and figured out what the levels of the window well needed to be.
IMG_3774.jpeg

I had a company come in and rip the old concrete window well out.
IMG_4558.jpeg

In went the Timbers
IMG_4571.jpeg

New Double French Casing window…
D0BCBAF8-8516-4DA1-B706-61290E7A887B.jpeg

And the finished product
F2A04F16-9284-45C1-A035-727BCDE1B124.jpeg

Will provide more updates soon.
The change on the egress window is terrific. Did you have to get that permitted? Seems more useable this way and would allow me to get a bigger tank too! :0)

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The change on the egress window is terrific. Did you have to get that permitted? Seems more useable this way and would allow me to get a bigger tank too! :0)
I didn’t get a permit :zipper-mouth-face:

There’s companies that do just this type of conversion, there quotes were about 40% more than just hiring the landscape company that did my back yard. Showed them what I wanted and they made it happen. The timber is very expensive btw, surprisingly so!

But yeah, I love the window well, regardless of allowing the bigger tank. It allows way more light in the basement and the wife approves too!

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. It’s fun to look back at all the stages of the build. I really spent a lot of time last summer, but it’s helped make it easier to maintain now it’s all up and running.

OP
OP
iReefer12

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow super impressive and love the detail! Looking forward to seeing this beast grow out
Thanks @JSmith!! Excited to see the frags grow in.

Wow nice build!

Where did you snag the kingi and the conspic from?
Thanks @NautiTang, I really love those 2, the Kingi is growing by the day it seems. I got them from a local vendor who sourced them directly from Poma Labs.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s companies that do just this type of conversion, there quotes were about 40% more than just hiring the landscape company that did my back yard. Showed them what I wanted and they made it happen. The timber is very expensive btw, surprisingly so!
We're talking used car expensive or race horse expensive? :0)

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve blanked it from my memory tbh.. but it ended up being at least half of the overall cost. Probably $1500 in timber IIRC.
A neighbor is helping me figure out if it's feasible for my house. Glad I saw yours. Thanks for posting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back