Acans recessed

webbl19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive had these acans for sometime now. Last couple months or so they have been very unhappy. Surprising to me that i still think they are alive honestly. Id really like to figure out what i need to do to puff them back up.
5g water changes weekly. Last weekend i did a 10gallon change to see if it made a difference. Ive even skipped weeks trying to keep some dirty water in there.

I dont dose.
Only run carbon.
Chaeto
65g SCA skimmer
55 gallon display
10 gallon sump

Just checked alk at 9kh, which is always constant with this API test kit. Normally ranges from 8-9.

Tank has been running for a couple years now. These acans arent new by any means. The red one in the center i have had for almost the whole 2 years, but has had a stressed life. Used to be the dinner of a valentini puffer back in the day. He pulled threw for me though and was growing very well after i moved everything to a 55 gallon and the puffer died. Awhile back.

Last thing i did to the tank was put in the Current USA Orbit Loop system to replace my T5s and circulation pumps . 2 LED fixtures, 2 of their medium sized pumps, cant remember the size, i want to say around 1000gph each, somewhere in there and then a tiny 660gph thats only on at 30%. Supposed to be the return pump, but i dont have that yet. At first i bleached out a lot, bad acclimation. I failed. I admit it. That was about 6ish months ago?

Havent added corals, no equipment. Nothing since that time. Ive taken the lights down for a week and back to default. No changes with these guys no matter what i do.

I do have a culprit in mind, a Coral Beauty Angel. She was the last fish i added. Months ago, but i do see her pecking all over the place. I have not seen her specifically peck at the acans ever though.

Anyway. Where should i start? Red one has also grew onto the rock, so i cant get it off the rock to dip or anything.

What are your thoughts? Pests? Specific parameter to focus on other than alk?

No other LPS is acting up. Torch, duncans, blasto etc. All look great except for these acans. Acans are also one of my favorite corals so its kinda sucky they look like this.

Also added a FTS so you could get a sense of the other coral in the tank.

Thanks for the feedback.
1fadcfb30bf38c7d979bc58fc12f2905.jpg
0ce0113ae9fc8e10136e56ead4658693.jpg

OP
OP
webbl19

webbl19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Known "pests" in the tank. Just thought i add more info just in case.
Asternia starfish (sp probably wrong) the little white ones.
Aiptasia anemones. Little boogers
Zoa eating nudis i found today

All im aware of.

Any know pests that will eat on acans?

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything else in the tank is doing fine and it's just these acans that are playing up I bet it's the fish ...coral beauty
I had a blue tang that picked on acans , I didn't know what was going on for a few months , acans looked pretty much like yours aswell
Than I saw it .....swim past quick as anything nip and swim off
Really hard to see as they nip as they swim by
Not saying it's the fish 100% but theres a good chance
As soon as I removed the fish they started to grow back

OP
OP
webbl19

webbl19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess ill have to get my 20 gallon in better shape and move them over. I did move 2 frags over to it, but they were looking pretty bad. Guess time will tell. Cant get rid of my beauty though. She brings good color to the tank.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are all your other perimeters? I usually see this when something is too high or too low.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back