Acans vs Micromussa, how do you know which one?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how to tell the difference between the 2? I read a lot of confusing things, like Acan Lords are now classified as Micromussa, some people say all Acans are micromussa. I think they belong to the same family, but I'd like to know how to tell the difference.

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some acans that are not micromussa, like Acan echinata. But Acan lords were reclassified as micromussa some time ago. It can be confusing since many people still call them acans.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some acans that are not micromussa, like Acan echinata. But Acan lords were reclassified as micromussa some time ago. It can be confusing since many people still call them acans.
Ok.. So how does one discern the difference between the two? I have one here that I don't know which it is, but rather than just have it ID'd I'd like to learn what to look for to know the difference "teach a man to fish" and all that...

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. So how does one discern the difference between the two? I have one here that I don't know which it is, but rather than just have it ID'd I'd like to learn what to look for to know the difference "teach a man to fish" and all that...
Lords usually are a bit “puffier” than acans, and have a different texture to the flesh.

This is a Lord:
030B3011-D72C-4FB5-A821-C4EEE53A16B7.jpeg

This is an Acan echinata:
7AFD4B57-D355-499D-BB5F-5385B9E9E6CF.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is very little difference between the two, but generally can use the skeleton size of polyps as a guide. <8mm acroos probably micromussa and >8 likely acan lords (ie micro lords now). I dont think that is the foolproof answer, but going to make you right the vast majority of the time.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There is very little difference between the two, but generally can use the skeleton size of polyps as a guide. <8mm acroos probably micromussa and >8 likely acan lords (ie micro lords now). I dont think that is the foolproof answer, but going to make you right the vast majority of the time.
this ^

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm reading that as less than 8mm it's Micromussa, and greater than 8mm it's Acan Lords? and when you say "across" do you mean longest point, or strictly horizontally? If I'm reading it right, I think I have a Micromussa. Though it's not nearly as colorful as the sample picture posted by the other guy.

Here's what it looks like (the vertical bowing on the Flex 32.5 compresses it slightly and makes the bottom blurry, sorry) There are 3 of those mouths on this view, and 2 smaller ones on the back. That dottback is about 1.5-2" long and is about 1" behind the coral for size reference:
20211130_133604_HDR.jpg

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are some acans bigger than others. UC calls are their microlords and they are very small it seems. I asked them and they said just short for micromussa. All my acans are from them besides two and the other ones is are bigger and puffier looking then the ones from uc

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are some acans bigger than others. UC calls are their microlords and they are very small it seems. I asked them and they said just short for micromussa. All my acans are from them besides two and the other ones is are bigger and puffier looking then the ones from uc
The conversation is a little confusing, I'm trying to suss it out currently lol. But apparently, Acan Lords (Popular Acan Species) has been re-classified as Micromussa and not Acan, so places are taking to calling them Micro Lords now... At least this is how I understand it currently. Still waiting on people to provide some more clarity here, hopefully it comes :-D

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What they are saying is not really accurate. What we have always knows as acan lords was changed to be micro lordhowensis. These are generally the larger polyps. What we traditionally knew as micromussa is micromussa amakusensis. Both are now classified as micromussa but they are not the same.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm reading that as less than 8mm it's Micromussa, and greater than 8mm it's Acan Lords? and when you say "across" do you mean longest point, or strictly horizontally? If I'm reading it right, I think I have a Micromussa. Though it's not nearly as colorful as the sample picture posted by the other guy.

Here's what it looks like (the vertical bowing on the Flex 32.5 compresses it slightly and makes the bottom blurry, sorry) There are 3 of those mouths on this view, and 2 smaller ones on the back. That dottback is about 1.5-2" long and is about 1" behind the coral for size reference:
20211130_133604_HDR.jpg

Yes but again it is just a general thing it is not an exact way. Personally yours to me look like micro lords(aka acan lords), but i very well could be wrong. Here are a couple pictures of my micromussa. I circled the micromussa amakusensis. The others are traditional acan lords(now micromussa lordhowensis).

IMG_20211130_144255__01.jpg

IMG_20211130_144305__01.jpg

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but again it is just a general thing it is not an exact way. Personally yours to me look like micro lords(aka acan lords), but i very well could be wrong. Here are a couple pictures of my micromussa. I circled the micromussa amakusensis. The others are traditional acan lords(now micromussa lordhowensis).

IMG_20211130_144255__01.jpg

IMG_20211130_144305__01.jpg
Since I am a very visual and kinesthetic learner, these 2 pictures actually helped me a great deal, than you very much. I like your collection too, some of those colors are fire.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the ones I've bought as micromussa see to not only be smaller but more regular in size and shape. I ha acans the are more elongated and not symmetrical. Greater feeding response from micros.

JWright0291

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat digging this thread up but hoping someone can set me straight.
There are 3 coral we are talking about:
Acan Echinata - fairly flat and easy to distinguish
Micromussa - fluffy but less 8mm in size
Micro lord - fluffy but greater than 8mm in size

Are there any other easy distinguishing traits that you can use to tell micromussa and micro lords apart?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how to tell the difference between the 2? I read a lot of confusing things, like Acan Lords are now classified as Micromussa, some people say all Acans are micromussa. I think they belong to the same family, but I'd like to know how to tell the difference.
Acan lords are now classified as Micromussa, but not all acans are Micromussa. What is labeled as acan "echinata" (not necessarily echinata, but could be other species such as hemprichii and subechinata) are still in the genus Acanthastrea. They are both in the family Lobophylliidae.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back