Acans

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro di is putting out 0 tds i have worked in a lab for 3 years running hplc units and gc also doing cell counts all sorts of water sampling for boilers and what not to run a ethanol plant i am not dumb i believe water parameters are absolutely fine but will check to assure i believe its a pest of some sort i just dont know how to identify what it is on one head of the acan the flesh almost completely removed something ate it
I dont deny you know your way around water testing... nobody is calling you dumb.
I too perform water treatment on industrial systems daily in my trade.
The parameters I asked for would simply help us eliminate a water issue here. Its the normal question we always asked in this forum section and we cant really help because all we know is "parameters are fine"
Other reefers may see an issue you dont. Its happened to me on plenty of occasions.

OP
OP
2pawsreefer

2pawsreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 8.3
Alk 8dkh
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0-5 ppm
Calcium 440
Phosphate looks to be 0 but i didnt see much color in test tube so it is what it is keep in mind these are api test results want to what kind of worm that is i think it might be time to get the ol nylon trick out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That worm is stick and harmlt But can multiply quickly. Typically out when lights start shutting off. Id remove it anyway. How bright are your lights?

OP
OP
2pawsreefer

2pawsreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um lol i dont really know how to compare them i really need a par meter il just put it this way any reef store iv been too mine have looked way stronger so i think il try turning my leds down a but t5s are non dimmable on this system

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a very new tank thats likely going through its instability still if @ 3 months.
Your nutrients are near zero and your bacteria is still colonizing. Keep feeding your fish and leave the water changes alone for now until you get some measureable nutrients for your coral to survive. I would start dosing your macro elements and keep an eye on nutrients for now. Use water changes to control their ratio until your tank balances out. Howd your coraline growth at 3 months? Covering the glass? Rocks?

OP
OP
2pawsreefer

2pawsreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose phyto and zooplankton twice a week and feed frozen food twice daily and rods food once a week and spot fed my acans minumum twice a week he was growing in this tank just as much as my 1.5 year tank then overnight this happened tank is young but i took care of the coral something ate it

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose phyto and zooplankton twice a week and feed frozen food twice daily and rods food once a week and spot fed my acans minumum twice a week he was growing in this tank just as much as my 1.5 year tank then overnight this happened tank is young but i took care of the coral something ate it
Just looking over your videos, your 3 month tank is not stable enough to sustain life long term. Things will grow short term but succumb to the unstable enviornment. You also have to think about your macro numbers daily. Have you dialed in macro consumption to attain a scheduled water change regemine? a dosing regemine? Or do you test once a week or 2 and adjust your macros at that time to be in range? The latter is not the correct way to sustain coral long term either.

OP
OP
2pawsreefer

2pawsreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change 10% weekly and have for the last 3 months also i test everyweekend atleast calcium and alk and nitrate

OP
OP
2pawsreefer

2pawsreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it unstable i add sea chem stability 3ml every water change also i geuss im new enough i dont understand how its unstable if everytime i test everything is within spec

OP
OP
2pawsreefer

2pawsreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And macro numbers your reffering too would be the consumption of calc mag alkalinity goes with them as far as i can tell its stable dont have a magmesium testing solution

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change 10% weekly and have for the last 3 months also i test everyweekend atleast calcium and alk and nitrate
You may not even need to change 10% weekly. Seeing as your nutrients are near 0.
Your macro number trend over 5-7 days will tell you how often you should be performing water changes until you can no longer keep up cal & alk demand with water changes alone.
Water changes might be doing more harm than good, keeping your waste undetectable and swinging your parameters too much.
Its a learning curve forsure. Been reefing for close to 8 years myself and I learn something new everyday.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And macro numbers your reffering too would be the consumption of calc mag alkalinity goes with them as far as i can tell its stable dont have a magmesium testing solution
Correct and until you do a 5-7 day consumption trend....you are honestly just guessing. Throw in the fact that you dont test mag, you arent really dialed in for sustained success. I used to reef just like that, somethings lived and grew, a lot died. I learned the keys and fundimentals to long term success from other reefers on this forum. This place is a wealth of knowledge. Youll get some more people chiming in about this im sure.

Reeftroubles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why have my acans died i mean i see the little tube worms but theyve always been there but havent done this before maybe they got hungry enough now
20190808_171624.jpeg
I recently lost my massive acan colony and and a gorgeous frog spawn. I couldn't figure it out other than my tank was running a little hot in the mid summer but not hot enough to melt or kill them it was about 82 ( don't start on me guys I'm a reefer on a budget). Anyway SALT SALT was the problem. I was using a dang Hydrometer and found out I had been doing my water changes at .030. Now I have a fancy spyglass for that but not my corals. On a different note Zoa's, Gorgo, GSP and Rose bubbles all survived the horrible neglect.

OP
OP
2pawsreefer

2pawsreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm maybe on something i use a refractometer but i dont have calibration solution i just calibrate to 0 but check with hydrometer i have 4 of those also lol

OP
OP
2pawsreefer

2pawsreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to be said i took a green torch with purple heads from my other tank and it did not like the new bright lights lost some of its dark green color so i put it back in other tank

Back