Acanthastrea only tank?

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the icecap k1 Nano skimmer over the eshopps. I have two and they work great and are easy to adjust. The way the eshopps works it will be a pain to adjust and dial in.

As far as a light, if you ever plan on upgrading I would just go with an Ai prime. A kessil A80 would be ok for that tank but I wouldn’t say for anything any bigger. Really the prime will be your best bet.

For feeding I just dose KZ lps aminos daily and feed the acans Hykari mysis shrimp when I feed the fish a couple times a week. You can do powdered food but I find they like meaty food more. Don’t focus on feeding them A lot or doing the aminos until your tank matures. I was dealing with algae and have not fed them or dosed aminos for a month and they look great.

OP
OP
FangsAndGames

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the icecap k1 Nano skimmer over the eshopps. I have two and they work great and are easy to adjust. The way the eshopps works it will be a pain to adjust and dial in.

As far as a light, if you ever plan on upgrading I would just go with an Ai prime. A kessil A80 would be ok for that tank but I wouldn’t say for anything any bigger. Really the prime will be your best bet.

For feeding I just dose KZ lps aminos daily and feed the acans Hykari mysis shrimp when I feed the fish a couple times a week. You can do powdered food but I find they like meaty food more. Don’t focus on feeding them often at all or doing the aminos until your tank matures. I was dealing with algae and have not fed them or dosed aminos for a month and they look great.
I removed the skimmer and went with a media reactor since I’ll change water every week or more, I’m using kp aquatics rock to skip the ugly phase and sand to aid in maturing, and I’ll use mysis but might for go the amino acids as I’ve done some research and found that their are better options. I also might build my own light just for fun and customization. Thanks for the input I appreciate it!

OP
OP
FangsAndGames

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a question? So I’ve used about every mysis known to man and love the PE so far. Now my question is I want to use particulate foods like copepods, rotifers, calanus etc. So my question is should I buy it cheaper but dry for BRS or buy it frozen from some like PE? I like the idea of customizing my food without having to unfreeze and refreeze or buy super large quantities of food that’s not in a blister pack.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the skimmer and went with a media reactor since I’ll change water every week or more, I’m using kp aquatics rock to skip the ugly phase and sand to aid in maturing, and I’ll use mysis but might for go the amino acids as I’ve done some research and found that their are better options. I also might build my own light just for fun and customization. Thanks for the input I appreciate it!

Skimmer would probably be better honestly, helps to oxygenate the water as well. What do you plan to put in the reactor? You can just throw some carbon in a mesh bag, no need for a reactor. As far as gfo I find it strips phosphate too fast and is a pain. I just use a lanthanum chloride product dosed in the skimmer to bring them down by an exact amount.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a question? So I’ve used about every mysis known to man and love the PE so far. Now my question is I want to use particulate foods like copepods, rotifers, calanus etc. So my question is should I buy it cheaper but dry for BRS or buy it frozen from some like PE? I like the idea of customizing my food without having to unfreeze and refreeze or buy super large quantities of food that’s not in a blister pack.
Why not just inoculate the tank with live pods and rotifers? Then just feed mysis once or twice a week.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pack the tank with lords so once fully matured it would be a slaughter.
The filter chamber could act as a fuge, and the rock itself would contain lots of pods. Without a micro predator, like a mandarin dragonet, you'd be surprised how quickly pods reproduce.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without fish, I would think so.
Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with feeding dried pods. Imo, the tank would stay cleaner with live pods though. No chance of them rotting if not eaten.
One other thing, not pods, if you use live rock and live sand, don't add any bacteria in a bottle. These bacteria could possibly outcompete the natural bacteria you paid so much to get.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be one of the easiest tanks you can set up.

25% water changes weekly,low lighting like 100-150 par,medium water flow,heavy feedings 2-3 times a week and let it grow. You do not need a bunch of equipmemt or anything fancy.

20170709_175625.jpg 20170709_175620.jpg 20170709_175605.jpg 20170709_175558.jpg 20170608_204454.jpg 20170608_204444.jpg
check pm when you can man

OP
OP
FangsAndGames

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was to me lol.

Is this tank going yet ?
No as a matter of fact it was becoming to expensive for my parents. Right now I’m setting up a clown killi tank to breed and also some dart frogs tanks. Plan is to to save money so that I can and also get a summer job and other work. Maybe in a year I’ll start it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back