Acantho looks like it’s going to die

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in the LPS forum but now things have gotten worse.

I have had this acantho for about four years and it’s been unbelievably happy. About three weeks ago, it quit opening as much.

All of my parameters are dang near perfect, nothing new had been added to the tank, and my other acantho is doing just perfect.

I moved the sick acantho to my frag tank where I could direct feed him better, control the flow and put him in an area of reduced light. But he’s still not opening, and occasionally gets a brown sludge where he is missing some tissue on the under side.

My SO is going to kill me if it dies, this is her all time favorite piece. Help?

128F46A9-0234-464D-9F21-1D947E4248DC.jpeg

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in the LPS forum but now things have gotten worse.

I have had this acantho for about four years and it’s been unbelievably happy. About three weeks ago, it quit opening as much.

All of my parameters are dang near perfect, nothing new had been added to the tank, and my other acantho is doing just perfect.

I moved the sick acantho to my frag tank where I could direct feed him better, control the flow and put him in an area of reduced light. But he’s still not opening, and occasionally gets a brown sludge where he is missing some tissue on the under side.

My SO is going to kill me if it dies, this is her all time favorite piece. Help?

128F46A9-0234-464D-9F21-1D947E4248DC.jpeg

Brown sludge? It could be brown jelly disease. If it is, put it back into QT, dose with iodine, and cut off infected polyps.

OP
OP
G

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped it early today, and blew off any necrotic tissue while it was in isolation. I have re-arranged the lights in the QT coral tank so it's getting very very low light. Fingers crossed.

Brown sludge? It could be brown jelly disease. If it is, put it back into QT, dose with iodine, and cut off infected polyps.

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you feed him? I had one that I lost in my tank because he wasn't getting enough food.

OP
OP
G

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I feed the tank, it gets fed incidentally daily and twice a week it gets fed with cora frenzy and coral gumbo. I have been direct feeding it daily now that it’s in the frag tank.

how often do you feed him? I had one that I lost in my tank because he wasn't getting enough food.

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works out for you, tbh feeding issues are the only problem's ive had with meat corals. Since you have it set up in a new tank, I would just watch it and see what he does. Ive had brown jelly issues on a hammer that was right next to my healthy meat coral and it never spread, so hopefully they are immune but that's just a single observation

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed meatier food like pieces of shrimp, something more then a powdered coral food. It might help kick start it back into good health

OP
OP
G

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was a valiant effort but there was too much tissue loss and necrotic tissue.

I had to pull it this morning. My SO is distraught. Now comes the fun of finding a replacement acanthophyllia.

I hope it works out for you, tbh feeding issues are the only problem's ive had with meat corals. Since you have it set up in a new tank, I would just watch it and see what he does. Ive had brown jelly issues on a hammer that was right next to my healthy meat coral and it never spread, so hopefully they are immune but that's just a single observation

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it was a valiant effort but there was too much tissue loss and necrotic tissue.

I had to pull it this morning. My SO is distraught. Now comes the fun of finding a replacement acanthophyllia.
Sorry to hear that, losing a coral always sucks...especially when its your favorite one.

Back