Acanthophyllia Advice

Richsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have a 100gal LPS dominated mixed reef which has been set up for 2.5 years. 9 months ago I brought a lovely Acanthophyllia that settled in well and has been doing great until the last 2 weeks. I have noticed it is no longer inflating fully or feeding - I think it might have a digestive issue as when it does open its mouth it appears to have a ball of poop/sand in there? Before the last 2 weeks I would feed it just a small amount of LPS pellets by Vitalis every 10 days and I broadcast feed the tank Reefroids and AB+ twice a week - I dose under recommended amounts for each of these. Important thing to note is that I have not had any issues with any of my other LPS or SPS corals - in fact my trachyphyllias, Scolys and Cynarina are looking the best they ever have.
My parameters are as follows:

Alkalinity 7.3-7.8dKH
Calcium 410-440ppm
Magnesium 1300-1320ppm
Nitrate 3ppm (was previously closer to 10ppm but has been lowering last 3 months as I started to use carbon doing to keep Phosphate in check)
Phosphate 0.11ppm (was previously up at 0.2ppm 3 months ago).

I have attached 3 photos of the Acantho. First is of it 2 weeks ago when it looked happy, second is a slightly blue photo which shows the poop/sand in its mouth and the third is how it looks most of the time now - not entirely withdrawn but definitely not as inflated as it has been.

Any help much appreciated!

Rich

18E3C361-A82E-43E8-AEAA-D19C469330F8.jpeg D3677E02-CBB8-4D9C-9DFC-2944E17A2C8E.jpeg 594EDD25-3847-49A6-AEF6-0F77626578EE.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there,

I have a 100gal LPS dominated mixed reef which has been set up for 2.5 years. 9 months ago I brought a lovely Acanthophyllia that settled in well and has been doing great until the last 2 weeks. I have noticed it is no longer inflating fully or feeding - I think it might have a digestive issue as when it does open its mouth it appears to have a ball of poop/sand in there? Before the last 2 weeks I would feed it just a small amount of LPS pellets by Vitalis every 10 days and I broadcast feed the tank Reefroids and AB+ twice a week - I dose under recommended amounts for each of these. Important thing to note is that I have not had any issues with any of my other LPS or SPS corals - in fact my trachyphyllias, Scolys and Cynarina are looking the best they ever have.
My parameters are as follows:

Alkalinity 7.3-7.8dKH
Calcium 410-440ppm
Magnesium 1300-1320ppm
Nitrate 3ppm (was previously closer to 10ppm but has been lowering last 3 months as I started to use carbon doing to keep Phosphate in check)
Phosphate 0.11ppm (was previously up at 0.2ppm 3 months ago).

I have attached 3 photos of the Acantho. First is of it 2 weeks ago when it looked happy, second is a slightly blue photo which shows the poop/sand in its mouth and the third is how it looks most of the time now - not entirely withdrawn but definitely not as inflated as it has been.

Any help much appreciated!

Rich

18E3C361-A82E-43E8-AEAA-D19C469330F8.jpeg D3677E02-CBB8-4D9C-9DFC-2944E17A2C8E.jpeg 594EDD25-3847-49A6-AEF6-0F77626578EE.jpeg
Phosphate is part of the issue
Assure nitrate <.20 and feed mysis shrimp 2-3x per week

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved mine to a sand free tank because I observed a wrasse kicking sand into the face of my acantho. I have been feeding him chopped clams and it seems a lot happier being in a sand free tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Richsreef

Richsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is part of the issue
Assure nitrate <.20 and feed mysis shrimp 2-3x per week
Do you think my phosphate was too high? Nitrate of less than 1ppm scares me as it’s very close to bottoming out - do you mean keep phosphate at <0.20? Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Richsreef

Richsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved mine to a sand free tank because I observed a wrasse kicking sand into the face of my acantho. I have been feeding him chopped clams and it seems a lot happier being in a sand free tank.
I do have wrasse in my tank and you can see there is some sand in the mouth of it, thanks for the advice

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Richsreef

Richsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would provide an update in case anyone has a similar issue and finds this thread! I took the acanthophyllia out of the tank and dipped it in some revive (by 2 little fishies) as I read that dipping the coral might encourage it to expel the waste and sand in its mouth. Unfortunately this didn’t happen so I took a pipette I had and decided to suck out the sand and poop from its mouth myself.

This worked perfectly and the Acanthophyllia is back to its best, I have attached a couple of photos from the last few weeks. Hope this is useful to someone in the future!

Attachments

• 6759F586-5089-4784-A13E-26E768AA0626.jpeg
    6759F586-5089-4784-A13E-26E768AA0626.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1345.jpeg
    IMG_1345.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would provide an update in case anyone has a similar issue and finds this thread! I took the acanthophyllia out of the tank and dipped it in some revive (by 2 little fishies) as I read that dipping the coral might encourage it to expel the waste and sand in its mouth. Unfortunately this didn’t happen so I took a pipette I had and decided to suck out the sand and poop from its mouth myself.

This worked perfectly and the Acanthophyllia is back to its best, I have attached a couple of photos from the last few weeks. Hope this is useful to someone in the future!
That description reminds me of a mother who relieved her child’s nasal congestion by placing her mouth over the child’s nose an to this day I want to vomit when I think of what went into her mouth. I always turn off the Novage commercials on the radio because that guy’s voice and the topic hit me right down there in the guts and I am afraid that I will choke and gag just thinking about the process.
Interestingly, I don’t get quite as ill reading about the straw and suction procedure description in this thread. I believe that my love for Acanthophyllia is much greater than my feelings for children? Thanks for the update and congratulations on saving the coral.

love this the beatles GIF

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Richsreef

Richsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That description reminds me of a mother who relieved her child’s nasal congestion by placing her mouth over the child’s nose an to this day I want to vomit when I think of what went into her mouth. I always turn off the Novage commercials on the radio because that guy’s voice and the topic hit me right down there in the guts and I am afraid that I will choke and gag just thinking about the process.
Interestingly, I don’t get quite as ill reading about the straw and suction procedure description in this thread. I believe that my love for Acanthophyllia is much greater than my feelings for children? Thanks for the update and congratulations on saving the coral.

love this the beatles GIF
haha I didnt suck it out using my mouth! I used a pipette/syringe to suck it out and operated that with my hand haha thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrate 25ppm and phosphate .23-.27ppm is the usual reading in my mixed reef with a lot of acanthophyllia, cynarina, and trachys etc.
they seem to like the higher side of nutrient imo. There is a acros in this system as well that are nicely coloured as well. I think the important thing is to have your phosphate to nitrate ratio 100:1 most importantly.
I feed a few LPS or Anemone pellets once or twice a week. Here’s a vid for comparison sake. Hope this helps. Vids only a minute.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Richsreef

Richsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooof. Just realized this thread is a year old haha. Never mind
It is but thank you for your contribution! The acanthophyllia is still doing well as you can see in this picture I took last night.

It seems that the issue was just the sand that my wrasse had been throwing onto the acantho which was making it upset. My Phosphate is around 0.15ppm and Nitrate 15ppm and all of my acanthos are doing well currently. Photos attached

Also I watched your video and you have a lovely collection of corals.

Attachments

• IMG_6365.jpeg
    IMG_6365.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is but thank you for your contribution! The acanthophyllia is still doing well as you can see in this picture I took last night.

It seems that the issue was just the sand that my wrasse had been throwing onto the acantho which was making it upset. My Phosphate is around 0.15ppm and Nitrate 15ppm and all of my acanthos are doing well currently. Photos attached

Also I watched your video and you have a lovely collection of corals.
Looking good and good to hear.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back