Acanthophyllia Meat Coral Care Tips

Zainuddin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TG SUN-5953.jpg
Acanthophyllia Meat Coral Care Tips

This video is all about coral care tips for Acanthophyllia. So what kind of tank is Acanthophyllia best suited for? I see it as a show stopper piece in a super high-end collector’s LPS dominated tank. They have a beautiful mix of size, color, pattern, and have really cool feeding behaviors. Let’s get into the Acanthophyllia coral care tips.

Please share your pictures of your Acanthophyllia

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In need of help... my meat coral is dying because of my lack of knowledge. I placed it in a tank with a juvenile Koran angle... after about 2 weeks it took a chunk of the coral exposing its skeleton. I quickly moved it to a small container (while hating myself for my stupidity) with the hope it will recover... been a few weeks now and looks like it is downhill all the way (it is loosing more meet and exposing more skeleton by the days)... any ways of saving this poor guy... or is it too late. Thanks.
Is there an update on your acantho? I would like to hear more. I saw a poor looking acantho going for a cheap price. I'm wondering if its possible to save it and nurse it back to health. I heard from another reefer that it would take years to recover from heavy flesh loss or flesh receding.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an update on your acantho? I would like to hear more. I saw a poor looking acantho going for a cheap price. I'm wondering if its possible to save it and nurse it back to health. I heard from another reefer that it would take years to recover from heavy flesh loss or flesh receding.
Very sadly i lost the battle in saving it.. thanks for asking. Having said that I friend of friend who got his acantho back to very good shape after it lost almost 95% of its tissue and almost died from new tank syndrom. It took him about 8 months.. I saw the before and after pics.. so, it is possible if the conditions are right and constant feeding with of high protein food. Unfortunately i dont have the pics. Give it a try... All the best.

Last edited:

Littlesquishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sadly i lost the battle in saving it.. thanks for asking. Having said that I friend of friend who got his acantho back to very good shape after it lost almost 95% of its tissue and almost died from new tank syndrom. It took him about 8 months.. I saw the before and after pics.. so, it is possible if the conditions are right and constant feeding with of high protein food. Unfortunately i dont have the pics. Give it a try... All the best.
Will do! I'm just debating on if I should wait for Petco's tank sale or buy the 20 long right now to work with. I wanted to get AIO for the frag tank but a hob would be cost effective. I have phosguard to fight phosphates from reefroid but looking for cleaner alternatives to it b/c I have 3 lps in my DT that would benefit. I was thinking frozen foods like copepods, krill, and artic pods.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine that I've been caring for for a few years now. I bought it as a blood red piece with a green rim and mouth, then it bleached of almost all color when my tank had a mini crash. I nursed it back in a separate tank for a few months, and when I introduced it into my new tank it began to turn solid gold around the rim! This pic is only a few days old and it already had more gold all over.
This genus has to be one of my all time favorites! I'm currently looking to collect some more.
1606838921560.png
What did you do to nurse it back to health? I’m having the same issue here

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to nurse it back to health? I’m having the same issue here
It died very soon after I posted that photo unfortunately. They don't seem to rebound very well after near death experiences. I have had limited luck with Ciprofloxacin treatments like you would do with an anemone, keep up with feeding, and keep phosphates low. Phosphates seem to be the biggest killers of meat corals IME.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It died very soon after I posted that photo unfortunately. They don't seem to rebound very well after near death experiences. I have had limited luck with Ciprofloxacin treatments like you would do with an anemone, keep up with feeding, and keep phosphates low. Phosphates seem to be the biggest killers of meat corals IME.
Sucks, I’ve been dealing with white worms living in side the acantho’s skeleton. Dipped it and ever since it’s been down hill. I’ve been pumping with Red Sea AB+ and mysis shrimp but nothing seems to be doing the trick. I guess it’ll become a nice sculpture piece on my aquarium stand if it dies

OP
OP
Tidal Gardens

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks, I’ve been dealing with white worms living in side the acantho’s skeleton. Dipped it and ever since it’s been down hill. I’ve been pumping with Red Sea AB+ and mysis shrimp but nothing seems to be doing the trick. I guess it’ll become a nice sculpture piece on my aquarium stand if it dies
Can you move the coral to a separate tank for treatments and easier feeding? While the acantho is underwater, take a Tupperware container and scoop it out. Then keep it submerged in water and chip off the worms. Keeping the coral submerged is important because the flesh will easily poke through the skeleton if taken out of the water.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move the coral to a separate tank for treatments and easier feeding? While the acantho is underwater, take a Tupperware container and scoop it out. Then keep it submerged in water and chip off the worms. Keeping the coral submerged is important because the flesh will easily poke through the skeleton if taken out of the water.
Agreed, I have moved it yesterday into its own tank. Mouth stays open most of the day. Won’t inflate. So I take the time to throw food at it. It was a beautiful gold dust Acantho coral, hate to see it doing bad.

IMG_4668.jpeg

This Photo is from last week, it went down hill unexpectedly
IMG_4614.jpeg

OP
OP
Tidal Gardens

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I have moved it yesterday into its own tank. Mouth stays open most of the day. Won’t inflate. So I take the time to throw food at it. It was a beautiful gold dust Acantho coral, hate to see it doing bad.

IMG_4668.jpeg

This Photo is from last week, it went down hill unexpectedly
IMG_4614.jpeg
Low light. Try feeding every other day now that it not doing too well and not accepting much. You do not want it to struggle with digesting from overfeeding. A healthy meat coral could eat all day and be fine. Have you tried any sort of dip or bath with it?

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low light. Try feeding every other day now that it not doing too well and not accepting much. You do not want it to struggle with digesting from overfeeding. A healthy meat coral could eat all day and be fine. Have you tried any sort of dip or bath with it?
I tried Coral RX recently, I had it submerged less than 5 minutes, got a ton of worms out of it, then put it in its own tank. Did good one day after. I found a worm inside the tank wiggling through the water column yesterday so I’m not sure if worms are inside the coral or I missed something.

I just fed it right before reading your post. I’ll hold off from feeding until the weekend. I have lights dimmed to 20%

OP
OP
Tidal Gardens

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Coral RX recently, I had it submerged less than 5 minutes, got a ton of worms out of it, then put it in its own tank. Did good one day after. I found a worm inside the tank wiggling through the water column yesterday so I’m not sure if worms are inside the coral or I missed something.

I just fed it right before reading your post. I’ll hold off from feeding until the weekend. I have lights dimmed to 20%
If there was a ton of flatworms that came off you will need to dip it weekly or bi-weekly at least. We use Polyp Lab Reef Primer because we have found it also helps with some bacterial issues as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back