Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TG SUN-5953.jpg

Acanthophyllia Meat Coral Care Tips

This video is all about coral care tips for Acanthophyllia. So what kind of tank is Acanthophyllia best suited for? I see it as a show stopper piece in a super high-end collector’s LPS dominated tank. They have a beautiful mix of size, color, pattern, and have really cool feeding behaviors. Let’s get into the Acanthophyllia coral care tips.

Please share your pictures of your Acanthophyllia

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine that I've been caring for for a few years now. I bought it as a blood red piece with a green rim and mouth, then it bleached of almost all color when my tank had a mini crash. I nursed it back in a separate tank for a few months, and when I introduced it into my new tank it began to turn solid gold around the rim! This pic is only a few days old and it already had more gold all over.
This genus has to be one of my all time favorites! I'm currently looking to collect some more.
1606838921560.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pretty simple requirements:
Moderate light and water flow and feed 2-3x per week
Assure parameters in range

temp 76-79
Salinity 1.025
Ph. 8.1 - 8.3
Ammonia. < .04
Nitrate < .05

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one from WWC on a trip to Disney in February. Put it at the bottom of my tank, about 30" tall under Ecotech LEDs. I promptly bleached. I moved it to the darkest lowest flow back corner of my tank and it has come back. Curiously, it looks like it now has multiple mouths. I don't feed it as much as i should. the fish and shrimps get the food pretty quick, but i think it is going to be ok longterm now.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it not easy to feed. I feed all my LPS with fauna marin pellets, with all pumps off. But by the time I done feeding the whole tank, usually 10+ mins later, it still not pull the pellets into its mouth yet, nor it extend much of tentacle to grab onto the pellets. So when pump start, they just got blow away. Others like lobo, trachy, cynarina, etc. only take a minute to grab onto the pellets. I tried several other fish pellets too, and some frozen food. It show no great appetite to any of them.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1606852595647.png

I tried rotifers after your suggestion in the video (replied on youtube as well) but I didn't get a crazy response. Mine eats a big meaty meal of LRS and other stuff once a week plus catches stuff pretty much everyday as well. I will say my dendros had a crazy response to the rotifers. Almost every morning it's fully expanded and expands and contracts almost everyday.

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I got a baby one as a hitchhiker with some zoas. It's grown to around 1/4-3/8", and was bright green originally. Now, it's got a deep red outer ring.

Unfortunately it's surrounded by large zoas, and I'm trying to figure out how to free it. It's also growing right on the side of the rock, but seems happy there, so that's where I'd put it back.

OP
OP
Tidal Gardens

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zsxking try giving it a little squirt of food before you intend on actually feeding. This will likely just get blown off or eaten by fish, but it should trigger a feeding response in which makes it much easier to feed.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mr_Knightley for all those who may have the same issue. How did you nurse it back to health? Here we will separate them into a fishless tank and target feed daily.
How I've nursed two back to health so far (Including this one) is similar to what you've mentioned here. I moved both of the near fully bleached acanthos into a small, fishless tank with a very weak light above it and fed often, using the Neptune brand fish pellets, coral frenzy pellets and powder as well as frozen brine on no particular schedule, but roughly once or twice a week. When feeding acanthos in general, I like to put the food directly in the middle over the mouth, that way they can suck it in right away. No doubt this trick would work wonders for folks with massive acanthos, as they tend to eat a good bit slower.
I'm currently working on rehabilitating an acantho with an infection, I may check back at this thread if I am successful!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I got a baby one as a hitchhiker with some zoas. It's grown to around 1/4-3/8", and was bright green originally. Now, it's got a deep red outer ring.

Unfortunately it's surrounded by large zoas, and I'm trying to figure out how to free it. It's also growing right on the side of the rock, but seems happy there, so that's where I'd put it back.
can you send me a pic of this? I may be able to show you got to remove it safely.

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you send me a pic of this? I may be able to show you got to remove it safely.
Here's the baby trying to eat is first pellet. Didn't quite manage it, but at least got some Reef Roids. Had to move some thing around and do a big water change, so there are grumpy coral in the pics.
G9B9zkz.jpg
neNlWwQ.jpg

Uiagdgc.jpg

For the record, if I lose those zoas, but keep the baby, it's still a win in my book. Those zoas have never looked great for me

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the baby trying to eat is first pellet. Didn't quite manage it, but at least got some Reef Roids. Had to move some thing around and do a big water change, so there are grumpy coral in the pics.
G9B9zkz.jpg
neNlWwQ.jpg

Uiagdgc.jpg

For the record, if I lose those zoas, but keep the baby, it's still a win in my book. Those zoas have never looked great for me
It looks to me like that was at one point a bigger coral, as I can see some skeletal features on the surrounding rock structure that look like they lead to that last head. It is definitely ingrained into the rock a good bit, I wouldn't risk chiseling it off, but you could potentially remove the zoas and cut off excess rock with a coral bandsaw. I'm not experienced with fragging or cutting zoas, so if that's the route you would take I would recommend searching for threads on the topic for maximum safely.
Good luck with this little guy! I should be fun to watch him (very slowly) grow.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree removing the zoa will be easier. The easiest way is to use a cutter to cut just under the polyps, cutting/scrapping a thin layer of rock off with the polyps, then it can be glued to a plug or somewhere else.

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the bit of skeleton/ frag plug the baby is on its just being held there by the zoa mat. It was somewhat mobile last time I checked. I'll definitely make an effort to help the baby out

Bonus pic, the first time I noticed it growing about 7 months ago
68IyKCX.jpg

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TG SUN-5953.jpg

Acanthophyllia Meat Coral Care Tips

This video is all about coral care tips for Acanthophyllia. So what kind of tank is Acanthophyllia best suited for? I see it as a show stopper piece in a super high-end collector’s LPS dominated tank. They have a beautiful mix of size, color, pattern, and have really cool feeding behaviors. Let’s get into the Acanthophyllia coral care tips.

Please share your pictures of your Acanthophyllia
In need of help... my meat coral is dying because of my lack of knowledge. I placed it in a tank with a juvenile Koran angle... after about 2 weeks it took a chunk of the coral exposing its skeleton. I quickly moved it to a small container (while hating myself for my stupidity) with the hope it will recover... been a few weeks now and looks like it is downhill all the way (it is loosing more meet and exposing more skeleton by the days)... any ways of saving this poor guy... or is it too late. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210221_170359.jpg
    20210221_170359.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210221_170335.jpg
    20210221_170335.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 217

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back