Acanthurus pyroferus

JonasRoman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Messages
1,411
Reaction score
561
Location
Sweden
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am fasinated over the Acanthurus pyroferus that it mimics a centropyge when its juvenil. That Centropyge that seems to be where its coming from.

Anyone have experience how long it takes to convert to the "real" acanthurus pyroferus, and how long takes the transformation? And, have all pyroferus same end appearance despite which centropyge they mimic when young?
 
Hi. I am fasinated over the Acanthurus pyroferus that it mimics a centropyge when its juvenil. That Centropyge that seems to be where its coming from.

Anyone have experience how long it takes to convert to the "real" acanthurus pyroferus, and how long takes the transformation? And, have all pyroferus same end appearance despite which centropyge they mimic when young?

A. pyroferus is most commonly seen as a mimic of the lemonpeel angelfish, Centropyge flavissimus. I've also seen them as a mimic of the heralds angelfish (lacking the blue eye ring) C. heraldi. Oddly, in some locations, they mimic the 1/2 black angelfish, C. vroliki. There is also a reference that in Australia, they mimic the bicolor angel, but I've never seen that.

Acanthurus tristis mimics the eibli angelfish.

I don't know the exact size that these fish begin to change to their adult form, but it is commonly thought that as they reach the maximum size of their Centropyge model, they begin to change.....the adults I've had all looked pretty much the same, but I've never grown up the vroliki mimic tang.
 
A. pyroferus is most commonly seen as a mimic of the lemonpeel angelfish, Centropyge flavissimus. I've also seen them as a mimic of the heralds angelfish (lacking the blue eye ring) C. heraldi. Oddly, in some locations, they mimic the 1/2 black angelfish, C. vroliki. There is also a reference that in Australia, they mimic the bicolor angel, but I've never seen that.

Acanthurus tristis mimics the eibli angelfish.

I don't know the exact size that these fish begin to change to their adult form, but it is commonly thought that as they reach the maximum size of their Centropyge model, they begin to change.....the adults I've had all looked pretty much the same, but I've never grown up the vroliki mimic tang.
Thanks 👌
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new