Accidental dosing of dish soap

Jayanels455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidental dose my 40g cube AIO with dish soap. The how IMO isn’t important, but what do I now is. The first thing I did is 15 gallons water change. What else should I do. The four clownfish aren’t looking very good. Thanks

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the how is what we all want to know!

Mistakes happen, don't beat yourself up to hard. I am thinking a wet skim and carbon? A carbon reactor to absorb as much as possible.

How much dish soap did you dose in to the tank? Any corals? Are 4 clowns the only fish?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pull the fish into a QT, bucket, etc. with fresh saltwater while cleaning up the tank water.
For the tank:
Add extra O2 with a bubbler or powerhead aimed up at the surface.
Run carbon to remove chemicals.
Do another water change later today and tomorrow.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pull the fish into a QT, bucket, etc. with fresh saltwater while cleaning up the tank water.
For the tank:
Add extra O2 with a bubbler or powerhead aimed up at the surface.
Run carbon to remove chemicals.
Do another water change later today and tomorrow.
Could look like a bubble bath by the end!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much dish soap went into the 40 gallons? For how long?

OP
OP
Jayanels455

Jayanels455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the how is what we all want to know!

Mistakes happen, don't beat yourself up to hard. I am thinking a wet skim and carbon? A carbon reactor to absorb as much as possible.

How much dish soap did you dose in to the tank? Any corals? Are 4 clowns the only fish?

The mistake happened when I was looking for a bowl to defrost some food for my rock flower. We have a 14 month old that is still drinking milk three times a day. So we have a special brush that sits in a bowl that we have several of them. ( bowls). The dish soap dips from the brush into the bowl. While I was looking for a bowl I found the bowl around same area here we hand clean the dishes. So I thought it was a clean bowl since the brush wasn’t with it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While in the QT, I'd strongly consider treating the fish with methylene blue. It helps the fish to transpire O2 which the soap is probably hindering.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just do a large water change now. By large I mean close to 100%. Then be done with it. I doubt you’ll really have much of a longterm problem.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean if Dawn is safe on ducks why isn’t it safe on fish? Lol

serious note the advice above is best. Water change, carbon, skim. Your fish in fresh bucket of saltwater with a bubbler and heater may be less stressful for a few hours until the DT is clean

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar once in a fish only tank. Had a cheap skimmer that i cranked up as much as i could while preparing water. I did a few consecutive heavy water changes until the skimmer stopped foaming. lost some sleep but no fish.

fishbulb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, I did something similar several months ago. I dumped a full cup of bubble bath into the tank by accident. I make fake snow solution for the holidays each year and store it in old gallon containers of distilled water. I accidentally tossed that into the tank thinking it was distilled water. The skimmer went nuts for half a day and I collected the waste into bucket. I lost absolutely nothing. Everything made it through just fine.

fishbulb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a sad pic of the mess. You'll be fine.

image1.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above and 5 gallon bucket of new water to put the fish in. It will give you some time to figure out the tank issue.

im so sorry for the loss of your orange storm.

fishbulb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm really sorry to hear that. It's odd to me that they reacted so negatively to dish soap but my tank was completely OK. Again, sorry to hear that. Yeah, just do water changes as quickly as you can . Do you have enough RO/DI on have to do a 100% WC? If you are really losing fish rapidly, even a 100% WC with dechlorinated tap water might be worth a try.

Good luck,
FB

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back