Accidentally Added Milk to Tank

Zakary2003

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 30, 2023
Messages
602
Reaction score
287
Location
Jacksonville
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I screwed up.

I was acclimating a new pair of clownfish to my tank. When it was time to add them, I needed to replenish the water I removed. I asked my roommate to grab my one gallon jug from the fish closet along with my bucket of salt water.

He grabbed a random jug that was sitting by the door to go out to the trash and I didnt notice. It had a tiny bit of residual milk inside. It wasn't enough to notice when looking at the jug, but it was enough to make the water slightly cloudy and I didn't realize until it was too late. The jug was empty, so it couldn't have been much milk.

What do I do now?
 
1741713393322.png
 
How large is your tank?

I don't think I would be very concerned if the ratio of milk to tank water is small. Milk is still mostly water. A little bit of a carbon source from the sugars, and some protein and fat that will come out in a skimmer if you have one.
 
How large is your tank?

I don't think I would be very concerned if the ratio of milk to tank water is small. Milk is still mostly water. A little bit of a carbon source from the sugars, and some protein and fat that will come out in a skimmer if you have one.
20 gallons. I added about half a gallon from the contaminated jug
 
If the jug was "empty" then you probably only got a few ml of milk. I wouldn't worry about it. Check your levels in the morning to see if they have changed much, but that has got to be less impactful than a day's worth of fish poop.
 
20 gallons. I added about half a gallon from the contaminated jug
What livestock is in the tank?

I might run carbon or a UV to reduce microbial activities in the water column.

Large milk spills can create anoxia in bodies of water, the splash from the milk jug is likely not going to crash the tank.
 
Haha! So funny story... when I was first starting in the hobby, I had my concoction of fish food in one hand (in a cup with water) and a starbucks peppermint mocha in the other...meant to pour in the food...nope. I poured in a nice dose of caffeine, milk, and sugar... Other than the fish swimming a little faster for the next few hours (jk jk), no harm came to the tank.

starbucks latte GIF


TL;DR, I did something worse and everything was fine. :cool:
 
Well... Milk is around 87% water and the rest is mostly protein, fat, carbohydrates (mostly lactose) and some vitamins and minerals. If you have an skimmer the protein will likely be skimmed out. Fat content depends on type of [cow] milk, some are lighter other fatter (1-2% to 4,5-5%).
I hope that helps somehow...
 
New way to dose calcium?

Seriously though, milk is almost 90% water. I can't imagine a fraction of an ounce would be of any serious concern.
All them Bovine hormones and cheese curds might ruin a proper reef.

Roast GIF by Javier Cobas
 
I must speak for my wife, who swears that Dunkin Donuts would be fine, but Starbucks fatal.

To me, all coffee tastes like 10w30.
Perhaps you need to do an oil change on your coffee mug?


Good Morning Coffee GIF by Jennifer Accomando
:thinking-face: :cool:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new