Accidentally tore my frogspawn apart

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was moving my largest frogspawn to the back and the smaller one to the front. Unfortunately, the second one was secured to the rockwork a lot better, so had to pull harder to get it off the rocks. Well I got it off, but in the process I think my hand hit the polyps hard, because tissue was flying everywhere. It's retracted and looking sad, but there's still a good amount of tissue left.

Have I just killed my frogspawn, or will it recover? I think I hit both heads equally, because they're both retracted.

20201124_153615.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time and perhaps an iodine dip.

U

User1

View Badges
I can't speak for dips or chaw but I can give you my experience with something somewhat similar.

I introduced a new frogspawn frag. It was a tiny thing. I had a matted file fish. He or she was really great at eating aiptasia. It saw the frogspawn no sooner than the frag epoxy was dry that it went over to it and ripped it to shreds. It looked worse than the image you showed above. Little bit of green tucked below the skeleton.

I removed the fish. Day by day I could see it grow and get fuller and fuller. I think I'm about 60 or so days after that episode and it is doing a lot better. Fully expands. Fluffy and bushy. Looks really good and turned around. My point is that yeah - maybe you damaged it a bit. Similar to a fish, rock, or something else in the real world knocking it around a bit. It should recover if everything else is normal with the tank, water chemistry, and no nipping shrimp or fish.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for dips or chaw but I can give you my experience with something somewhat similar.

I introduced a new frogspawn frag. It was a tiny thing. I had a matted file fish. He or she was really great at eating aiptasia. It saw the frogspawn no sooner than the frag epoxy was dry that it went over to it and ripped it to shreds. It looked worse than the image you showed above. Little bit of green tucked below the skeleton.

I removed the fish. Day by day I could see it grow and get fuller and fuller. I think I'm about 60 or so days after that episode and it is doing a lot better. Fully expands. Fluffy and bushy. Looks really good and turned around. My point is that yeah - maybe you damaged it a bit. Similar to a fish, rock, or something else in the real world knocking it around a bit. It should recover if everything else is normal with the tank, water chemistry, and no nipping shrimp or fish.
Thanks, that sounds hopeful. He's still retracted, but at least looks a tiny bit better already.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looks like right now, early morning. It's just a bit smaller than usual around this time of day. Guess it'll make a full recovery :)

Attachments

• 20201125_102250.jpg
    20201125_102250.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 30

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back