Acclimate or not to acclimate?

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’m assuming everyone acclimated their fish? Well for the past 5 fish I haven’t been and none have died I was told by a VERY advanced hobbyist (enough to trust enough to actually try it) that “survival of the fittest” and that he has acclimated a fish in 15 years! With only enough losses to count on a hand, so I tried it and have had way better results than acclimating! Just wanted to share this sin I have committed as it is very interesting!

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think the harm is in acclimating?
Well I don’t want to say there’s harm in it, but my guess would be temperature, stress( they can’t exactly hide safely in a bag), and just all in all the oddities of it for the fish, where the only thing that really matters to a fish is salinity and pH, so unless you or your lfs are keeping improper parameters those two should match up fine

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. I would acclimate a fish I got from the LFS differently from a fish shipped to me. Then there are all kinds of variables that would alter the way I would acclimate. There can be much more than salinity and pH in the acclimation equation.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically only have fish shipped in, so I definitely acclimate everything. I am curious about having a low success rate with acclimation though? The way I do it is to put the fish in 5 gallon buckets with the water they were shipped in. Then I setup a drip line from the system I am putting them in until the temps and salinity match. The bigger the fish, probably the longer it is going to take. Also remember that your LFS probably has their fish systems setup at a lower salinity to help with parisite/disease control as well. It isn't that their parameters are off so to say, just that have different needs from their systems then what you may have in your own aquarium is all.

I forgot to mention that I use an airstone and a heater as well. I will also use Seachem Prime or something like that to help with ammonia if needed.

Dorinda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that once you open the bag the ammonia would go up and the fish is stressed more from being in the bag than if you just float the bag for 15 minutes and then net it and put it in the tank. No losses here.

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically only have fish shipped in, so I definitely acclimate everything. I am curious about having a low success rate with acclimation though? The way I do it is to put the fish in 5 gallon buckets with the water they were shipped in. Then I setup a drip line from the system I am putting them in until the temps and salinity match. The bigger the fish, probably the longer it is going to take. Also remember that your LFS probably has their fish systems setup at a lower salinity to help with parisite/disease control as well. It isn't that their parameters are off so to say, just that have different needs from their systems then what you may have in your own aquarium is all.
That is true but I just can’t explain it! Haha from tangs and all they’ve been fine just being put in!

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true but I just can’t explain it! Haha from tangs and all they’ve been fine just being put in!
I have learned one thing in this hobby that doesn't really make much since lol, what works for one person, may not work for everyone lol.

OP
OP
zachtyd

zachtyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that once you open the bag the ammonia would go up and the fish is stressed more from being in the bag than if you just float the bag for 15 minutes and then net it and put it in the tank. No losses here.
I definitely float it, but yeah same no losses!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I never really onderstood the loooooong drips
Same.
My lfs fish and coral setups are at 1.025 or 1.024 so once that matches, they’re good to go. Temp is usually the tricky one for me because of the hour drive home. But if the specific gravity is the same, I just float them.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I float and release if it’s local.

If it’s shipped I’ll check salinity, if that’s really low like it frequently is then I’ll put them in a bucket with an airstone and heater to match salinity and heat of the display, usually I bring it up over 12 hours if it’s really low.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That depends entirely on how long the fish has been in the bag. LFS not an issue; overnight from online maybe an issue. I don’t do drip acclimation because I put all new fish into a matched QT. A 15 minute float to equalize temp is it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back