Acclimating new coral to light

  • Thread starter Thread starter AdamG280
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AdamG280

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2023
Messages
156
Reaction score
115
Location
Brookhaven, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to dim my lights for two weeks every time I get new coral?
 
Do I have to dim my lights for two weeks every time I get new coral?
I personally don’t, I personally throw in a coral to where it may do well and if it doesn’t I move it down the line.

In my Nano I have SPS and going mixed reef, this tank has a few difficulties with acclimating however LPS I have under a very shaded place in the tank and then acclimate them into 300 PAR on the sand.
 
Upvote 0
I wouldn't do that, it will affect the whole tank for just one coral. Just buy a frag rack for $10, then start the coral low by the sand and slowly move it up over time until you get the height you want and then glue it.
 
Upvote 0
I place mine where it would get the optimal flow and light for the specific coral. I have moved a few lower due to what ever reason they weren’t thriving.
 
Upvote 0
I place mine where it would get the optimal flow and light for the specific coral. I have moved a few lower due to what ever reason they weren’t thriving.
I would seriously like to know where you found not only the information on needed light but also how to identify the coral. I have found finding that difficult
 
Upvote 0
Most corals I buy are already Identified. I might not know a specific name like I buy a yellow zoa but I don’t know its specific name, scrambled eggs. But I know the light and flow requirements for zoas. 99% of the corals I buy if I don’t know it’s requirements I just google: care and relight flow requirements for that specific coral. I’ll know it before I purchase it. Most online vendors send care and requirements with the corals they ship.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new