Acclimation Box Behavior

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is acclimation box behavior to be interpreted?... I’ve added a sail fin tang to my standard 120 in an acclamation box... I have a larger yellow eyed kole tang (ignores my yellow watchman goby; harasses my lawnmower blenny; follows my royal gramma like “please be mah frie-unnnd”) who has already assumed the role of head honcho - supplanting my royal gramma...

I put the sail fin tang in the acclimation box during lights out, late last night/early this morning... When the lights came on about three hours later, my kole tang woke up and was business as usual... No signs of aggression towards the sail-fin-in-a-box, at all...

Are they ready to mingle?...

Attachments

• F146D5B3-B594-4C6A-B6B5-D859D7D7BF62.MOV
    75.6 MB

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that worked for me was leaving acc box in tank for fish to retreat to. Flame Angel was showing aggression at 1st to Coral Beauty in acc box. Once Flame Angel ignored acc box, I released CB. I kept acc box in tank with door open for an extra day. CB slept in acc box 1st night of release, then in cave after.

OP
OP
TetoCCB

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip, mine doesn’t have a door (a DIY box - acrylic hanging file container with cups and a pump)...

My kole tang is a bit crafty and ignored the sail fin while it was in the box and only began showing aggression when I released the sail fin into the tank...

When the kole tang’s aggression increased, I put the sail fin back in the box for the night...

I’m going to try a mirror as Euphyllia97 recommended... if that doesn’t work, I’ll pull rock to capture the kole and move her to my biocube until the sail fin settles in in the 120... Then, I’ll reintroduce the kole...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation box is useful .... but not always effective. It often presents a false negative. In other words, the lack of aggression to the newcomer in the box is not always an indication of behavior once released. I had a gem tang in the box recently. Got ignored, so after a couple of days I released it. Purple tang then proceeded to beat the crap out of it. Kole isn’t homicidal like the purple, and sail fin is less wimpy than the gem, so you may be fine. Just be prepared in case things go sideways.

Last edited:

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip, mine doesn’t have a door (a DIY box - acrylic hanging file container with cups and a pump)...

My kole tang is a bit crafty and ignored the sail fin while it was in the box and only began showing aggression when I released the sail fin into the tank...

When the kole tang’s aggression increased, I put the sail fin back in the box for the night...

I’m going to try a mirror as Euphyllia97 recommended... if that doesn’t work, I’ll pull rock to capture the kole and move her to my biocube until the sail fin settles in in the 120... Then, I’ll reintroduce the kole...
Hey i noticed you are in lithonia im in stone mountain

OP
OP
TetoCCB

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was impressed how the sail fin held his ground, but decided not to risk it, overnight...

OP
OP
TetoCCB

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for it :) If you see some agression, put a mirror in front of the glass!

How long does the mirror stay up?...

Kinda looks like a bonding exercise... united in challenging their own images...

Attachments

• 60428860903__6479C323-9D57-4675-87E8-02673D2193CC.MOV
    1.6 MB

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does the mirror stay up?...

Kinda looks like a bonding exercise... united in challenging their own images...
I kept it there for 2 days. They didn’t show any agression towards eachother anymore. Haven’t seen a single fight since then :)

OP
OP
TetoCCB

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept it there for 2 days. They didn’t show any agression towards eachother anymore. Haven’t seen a single fight since then :)
Kewl... thanks...

They were both at the mirror at the same time, but were completely focused on their own images...

They’d, apparently, worn themselves out by lights out and went to bed... All was good, this morning, with the kole tang back in the mirror...

OP
OP
TetoCCB

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second time taking down the mirror since yesterday... So far, so good...

Looks like she’s still reacting to whatever reflection she sees in the glass...

Attachments

• 60446151062__CB28F857-6D52-4C3D-A326-91A0269A8D36.MOV
    1.3 MB
OP
OP
TetoCCB

TetoCCB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the mirror, last night... at times, she appeared to have snapped... I guess it’s quite stressful...

Her response to the mirror had not decreased... The two had a good night, though (no one injured or dead), after I took down the mirror...

The Sail Fin has been following the Kole... May be low-key-petite-tang aggression...

We’ll see...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back